Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Too Big a Bauble - Spinning Top Necklace Review

I had really high hopes for Anthropologie's Spinning Top Necklace, which is why I pulled the trigger at full price. Unfortunately, this piece just didn't work IRL, the chain is really dark, the bauble is really big, and overall I just felt it didn't lay well. The colors are beautiful, I'll give it that.



Anthropologie Volante Tee (a last minute sale buy,
thank goodness I didn't miss out!)
Anthropologie Glowing Leaf Skirt
Anthropologie Spinning Top Necklace

19 comments:

Molly said...

Jan, the outfit is darling. The necklace is pretty on the web site but you can never tell until you try it for yourself. Love the skirt.

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness, I'm in love with both the skirt and the top! You look gorgeous!

triciathomas said...

OK I really wanted that necklace but had no idea it was that big! That happens to me so often when I order online I have no real idea at the size of something! Thank goodness for people like you reviewing things for me!

modernmom said...

I actually don't think it is too big. I love it!

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

Well, the rest of your outfit is fantastically gorgeous! I think it looks better without the necklace!

As for the necklace itself, while I don't think it is too big, I think the chain is a bit too dark and too long too - could the chain easily be replaced? Or if you're not completely happy with it, back it should go!

Jan Russell said...

I should clarify that I never intended to wear the necklace with this outfit, I just wanted to get some snaps before I sent it back!

Molly - I copied this cute idea from Kathryn? I think? I love that the Volante Tee will pair with so much!

Thanks Melissa :)

Tricia - it just wasn't what I expected, bummer!

Modernmom - you'll have to let me know what you think if you see it in person, I wanted to love it, but it just seemed too much.

Lisa - the pendant was attached on both sides of the chain if that makes sense? And the pendant itself was such shiny silver it was odd to see it on such a dark chain. I sent it back right after these pictures!

Jenni said...

LOVE the Volante with this skirt...I might have to copycat you on this!! Oh, I totally forgot to make mention of that necklace in my reviews...I saw it as I was checking out the other night and too was a bit surprised by the size. I still think it's cute and would look great with the right top, but it's not as appealing as it was before I knew how big it really was. Sad.

Pamela said...

While I'm for a statement piece, something seems off with this piece. Good call sending it back. You can something better for yourself.

Cute outfit! I love Volante and it looks super with that skirt!

Jessica said...

Too bad it didn't work out, it is so gorgeous on the website. I guess you'll just have to find something else to take its place! Your outfit is darling though!

Carol said...

You know...now that I look at it, it sort of resembles a really pretty drawer pull on a chain, haha! Good call on sending it back.

LOVE you in the Glowing Leaf Skirt + Volante outfit. Wish I could have picked up the Volante tee. *grumble, shopping ban, grumble*

vintageglam1234 said...

What a lovely grey ensemble with a splash of red. I love it Jan!
As for the necklace, it looks like it's missing something, but i don't know what. Perhaps it would look better with a silver or gold chain? the dark chain dulls it out i think.

Sara-You, Me and Anthropologie said...

Ok you are wearing my dream outfit in this post! I am dying to find both of these pieces!

greatbleuheron said...

I completely agree with your call on the necklace! Larger necklaces look great on some people, but they just seem off if you have a smaller frame, I think. I've ordered a couple of necklaces from Anthro that looked great online but then you see the scale in real life and all you can say is HOLY MOLY.

Beth

Peggy said...

Your outfit is smashing! I love it - that Volante tee looks so good on you! Good job.

Unknown said...

You look great in the volante tee :-)

Carly said...

That is a terrific skirt... you're right about the necklace. I thought it looked so nice online too, but I'm glad you reviewed it because it sure isn't as nice as I thought it would be!

Lisa said...

The Volante tee! It goes perfect with your skirt. I've ordered Anthro necklaces in the past and returned 'em at the store. Thanks for this review, I was eyeing the necklace online . . . I thought it was a cute and almost pulled the trigger.

TaraMixandMatch said...

I love your skirt...sorry the necklace didn't work out for you!

Jamie - Thrifty Threads said...

The necklace does look a bit oddly proportioned. The bauble is too big and the chain is way too long! Shame it didn't work, because it is pretty.

And I love the soft grays in your Glowing Leaf OOTD. I finally tracked it down on Ebay, but keep passing over it because I'm not sure how to style it for winter. But I do have several gray tees, so I have to try this, soon!