Monday, February 1, 2010

Anthropologie Reviews

First up is the Optimist Dress - which I was madly in love with online. Not only was it a polka dot print, but the polka dots were orange - squeal! Floral sash, 50's vibe....the potential to be perfect!

I enlisted the help of my almost 4 year old to take some pictures, and told him to hang on a second while I closed the door to our hall bath. Always a good listener, Sawyer began snapping right away. I was going to delete these shots, but then realized they were helpful -
1. If you see this dress - RUN in the opposite direction. It will crush your cuteness hopes and dreams.
2. Notice the gaping armholes and excess fabric - so sad.
For reference sake, I am almost 5ft tall and this dress is a size 2. I didn't realize when I ordered that there was a size 0 available. Unfortunately, I don't think it would help to size down on this one. Horrible fit aside, the exposed zipper on this dress? Complete c@rp, it looked and felt cheap, and the quality was very poor, it was difficult to zip/kept sticking. On a much happier note, the Openwork Vines Skirt was everything I hoped it would be. Beautiful, well made, amazing fit and not too long - yay! This is a size 0, and it definitely sits a bit higher on your natural waistline. The bow is icing on an already incredible skirt.
The Double Torsade Necklace in Mint is affordable and pretty - I have visions of it against white eyelet come Summer.
yes, that's spit-up on my shirt. Glamorous.
Lastly, is the Ticker Tape Belt - which I am not sure about. I failed to look at the back/closure of this before I hit the submit button on my order. The colors are too cute for words, and the size and fit are great - but to me, the belt looks like it has two front sides??? Thoughts? I'm also not sure what I would wear it with, the front is too wide to slide through the belt loops on jeans...and jeans are pretty much all I wear....
but I'd be willing to branch out for this belt. Suggestions?

5 comments:

Kim said...

Oh my god, I was cracking up at the picture your son took of you running away in the Optimist Dress - how funny and how fitting for the dress! Trust me, sizing down to a 0 would not help :-( I forgot to mention the cheap, crappy zipper in my review, but you're totally right about it! I had to really tug at it.
The Openwork Vines Skirt is lovely on you!

Kristi said...

You missed your calling as a columnist for a high-end fashion magazine. You are gifted & talented! I love your eye for fashion, and your fun writing style and presentation.

ps. everything looks good when you wear a size ZERO!!

Dea said...

Love the reviews, it's good to see different people wearing some of my favorite pieces. The openwork vines skirt looks so beautiful on, great choice!!
And, you give me so much hope that I can still maintain my Anthro obsession even after I become a mom!! Love the spit-up with the necklace!!

Dea
www.beachfloatabroad.blogspot.com

Tifani said...

That skirt looks so amazing on you! But the optimist dress is not as positive as the name would suggest. Sorry for the disappointment.

Jan Russell said...

Dea - thanks for your comment!
Yes, spit-up goes with *everything* lol.

Kim - my Optimist dress went on it's way back to Anthro this morning - boohoo :(