Monday, January 24, 2011

I won't ride the tea cups, but I'll wear them!

My husband and I have been tossing around the idea of a Disney vacation for a few months now, and decided to book a trip for February. The last three days I have been running around like a mad hatter trying to book our dining and entertainment reservations. Not to mention planning perfectly themed outfits for each park ;)

I liked Anthropologie's Sugar & Cream Dress when it was released, but I wasn't dying to own it. I remember thinking it would be perfect to wear in Disney. And now that I'm going...you can see how this story ends. On Ebay. With the Buy it Now option.

I'm still trying to figure out footwear. When we went two years ago I mostly wore a pair of Keens - clearly, that will not do. Think I could walk around for hours in these?

31 comments:

TaraMixandMatch said...

Have fun in Disney, I'm totally jealous...and you're right, that dress will be perfect!!

Gemma said...

Those shoes are cute. I do think comfort is the key for Disney. Is this the Orlando or California one? I think February is a good time for the Orlando one. If that's where you're headed, don't forget to check out the Anthro at Millenia Mall...my old stomping grounds!

Molly said...

I have the dress via Ebay as well. I tried it on the other night wondering what shoes I would wear. If I were going to church I'd do heels of course. For Disney, maybe a cute flat sandal that's comfy? We did Disney last March-stayed at the Wilderness lodge, it was fantastic. It will be such a great trip.

Jan Russell said...

Thanks Tara!

Gemma - we are going to Orlando and I am laughing at the thought of having concierge arrange for me to get to Anthro while I'm there. I think Jonathan would kill me, lol.

Molly - we stayed at the Wildnerness Lodge when we were there two years ago and love, LOVED it as well - the boat was so much fun! This time we're staying at The Polynesian and I can't wait!

Pamela said...

I think some flat sandals will be best. That dress will be perfect!!! How cute.
I hate passing on an item in store and tracking it down in eBay. But thank goodness we have that option!!

loveshine1 said...

Cute dress!

I recommend you also bring some warmer clothes to Disney as well! February can be awfully chilly in Orlando. When my husband and I went last Valentine's Day weekend, I wore a wool peacoat and Uggs everyday!

Anonymous said...

DH and I took our 2 munchkins to Disney for the first time in September and my feet were killing me. I would go for comfort for this one trip. You do more walking than you can ever imagine. My kids favorite was the Dumbo ride. I did hit the Anthro store there. My DH just doesn't understand (even though I try to explain it to him over and over) that each store is different and carries different things. Enjoy!!!

Array of Anthro said...

Jan, I had that dress in my arms when it first when on sale but decided against it. Now, I can't for the life of me remember why. It's going to be perfect on you at Disney!!! Finding shoes is going to be a challenge for sure, but that's what you're blogging friends are here for... to help!!

xoxo
Kim

triciathomas said...

I wore a pair of Seychelles one of the days at Disney! They were super comfy and the other day a pair of sandals and then some flats!!! I am so excited for you guys Disney is one of my favorite places!!

LC said...

That dress is just so perfect for Disney! I would definitely try the flats out for a day beforehand...I find some of the Seychelles flats aren't super comfortable for a full day. Those Keds that look like ballet flats would be great!

Carol said...

The shoes are cute and will probably be okay, but having suffered through multiple occasions of, "Oooh, maybe these shoes weren't a great idea after all," at Disneyland, I'd recommend getting a pair of those Dr. Scholls gel inserts - they can make ALL the difference.

Carol said...

Oh, and now I totally, completely, and terribly want to go on ebay and hunt down that dress for myself.

vintageglam1234 said...

Ahhh, Disneyland is so much fun Jan. My husband and i loved it! We went on pretty much all the rides, me screaming throughout most of them.
You are going to be one stylish disneyland visitor! I just wore my denim shorts and an old cardi. Flats are essential. Make sure you can walk in them though, and that they don't cause blisters at the heel and toe. You will be doing heaps of walking :-)

SRP said...

disney? fun for your family!!

I don't know about the Seychelles.. I have a pair and they are comfy but not for really long periods of time. I actually bought mine a little big (big mistake) and need inserts and they are still difficult to work with.
What about Indigo line by clarks? check zappos, sometimes they have a few pairs that are less orthotic looking :)

Debbie said...

That dress will be perfect for Disney. I think the Seychelles would look great with the dress. I hadn't seen that particular style before and now I want them! I did a little search and found a post about a similar pair at Target that I'm going to try to track down.

GinaBean said...

Such a great idea for a Disney outfit! :-) Those Seychelles are cute. I would wear them and bring a backup pair of flip flops or ballet flats that you KNOW will be comfy. :-)

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

Disneyworld is one of my all-time fave places, and I don't even have kids! HAVE FUN!

The hot dogs at Casey's at the Magic Kingdom are so fantabulous! And I am always a sucker for the scent of sugared pecans or almonds!

I think you're going to be the most fashionable mom there!

Sara-You, Me and Anthropologie said...

Can I come with you?!? I LOVE Disney. My husband, not so much, but I'm determined to get him to go with me before we start having kids (he just wants to wait until we have kids to go). Have a great time and be sure to get a picture of yourself wearing that dress in front of the tea cups!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh gosh that dress is perfect - and the shoes will look so great with it!!

Carie said...

The sandals you picked are pretty darn adorable. My style is pretty casual, so I feel a little silly even making another suggestion. But what about a Tom's wedge in ash (grey)? Super comfy but really cute as well.

http://www.toms.com/womens/wedges/ash-canvas-women-s-wedges

Once the snow gets off the ground, I am pretty sure this will be my warm weather shoe of choice.

Have fun in Disney . . .

Lisa said...

I think the shoes will be okay for walking, maybe try breaking them in b4 you leave. I always have blisters if i don't. btw, I can't wait to see you rock the sewing circle dress. Did UPS deliver it yet?
and *sigh* i wanna go to disney too, maybe sometime later this year we're gonna take a trip to san diego.

Inkmark said...

If you were to wear those shoes, make sure you had worn them enough times before making the trip. No matter how comfortable they are, don't wear them brand new. Nothing ruin vacation more than sore feet. This is a such a pretty dress, but from my past experience there are times that you might sit on the floor, such as waiting for parades or firework. It might ruin your pretty dress. So make sure you bring other type of items too.

Carly said...

I am so jealous! My husband and I went to Disneyland on our honeymoon (I know, we're a couple of big kids, right?) and it was the best time ever! Afterwards we went on a wine tour through the Santa Ynez valley. You are going to look adorable - good choice on the dress!!

Jamie - Thrifty Threads said...

What a fun upcoming trip. And a perfect chance to assemble some adorable outfits. In terms of footwear, you might try looking into the Naya collection from Naturalizer. Really cute, and nearly unmatched for comfort.

Leah said...

I don't know about the comfort factor, but I just saw these on another blog and thought of you. They look almost identical to the shoes you referenced...but for only $17.99

http://www.target.com/Mossimo-Supply-Co-Othelia-Braided/dp/B0044E9LBC/ref=br_1_30?ie=UTF8&node=727288011&searchSize=90&searchView=grid3&searchPage=3&sr=1-30&qid=1296036545&rh=&searchBinNameList=target_com_category-bin%2Cstyle_name%2Ctarget_com_shoe_size-bin%2Clifestyle-bin%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=pmrank&frombrowse=1&AFID=Performics_ShopStyle.com&LNM=Primary

Jenni said...

hahha...you are making me laugh so hard!! Love it--ends with the "Buy it now" option. You will look so cute in this dress! I personally prefer walking around in flats...I have never once worn tennis shoes to Disney. I refuse. I wore flat boots the entire time we were at Disney in December and I was perfectly comfortable the whole time so I say go for it. And I styaed in the Polynesian one time when I was yougner and it was so fun to be able to ride the MOnorail right from my hotel to the parks...have a blast!!!

Tifani said...

I can't plan adult outfits, but I can seriously plan Disney. If you want any help, email me your dates and I'll put together something for you.

Jan Russell said...

Thank you girls - I have been to Disney several times, and I know better then to sacrifice comfort - I'm just hoping to find something cute AND appropriate for all the walking. Honestly, I am more comfy in sandals then I am in sneakers - so I should be okay there...

GinaBean - I love the idea of a backup pair of flip flops in my bag - or better yet I can just stow them in the back of the stroller in case of a shoe emergency ;)

Lisa - Those almonds are A-MAZING, last time I kept using my "snack" points from the dining plan to get more and more of them - yum!

Carrie - I actually think Toms are a fantastic idea, I just can never track down a pair in my size! I should check Ebay...

Lisa - I might be able to wear the Sewing Circle Dress tomorrow - fingers crossed that the weather cooperates!

Thanks Debbie & Leah - I'll check out the Target pair too :)

Jenni - I am excited about the ease of the monorail especially since we have little Graham.

Tifani - you are so sweet. I have all our dining booked, I just wanted to hurry and organize the itinery since the trip is so soon. Last time I planned for months!

Anonymous said...

it i going to still be pretty cold there!!! sandals may be cold??

Unknown said...

O I love the dress Disney World or not!

Unknown said...

O I love the dress Disney World or not!