I was delighted when the Compeer Dress was marked down so quickly at Anthropologie. Except for the one tiny detail that the sales price was the equivalent of most full-price dresses on their website. I made a deal with myself that I would order the dress, but only keep it if I love, loved it.
Well, it was definitely love when I opened the box. The color, the material, the length...pretty much everything about this dress was perfect. It blew my other recent dress purchases out of the water in terms of construction. As for the fit, it is a smidge roomy and on the low-cut side for me, but still works.
I've made up my mind that this dress will be the perfect thing to wear when we celebrate my youngest son's first birthday in October. But, I need your help - how would you ladies wear this dress in the Fall? What color tights? What color cardi? What shoes? Or boots?
Oh. And speaking of boots. When I saw my size was backordered, it sent me into panic mode and I hastily placed an order for the Bowtied-Beauty Boots. I'm worried after reading the reviews on how tall these boots actually are. I hope they work. I want to fall in love, love again!
But back to the Compeer. Fall Ideas? Pretty please with bows on top?
21 comments:
I'm so glad you reviewed this dress. I broke down this morning and did a charge and send when I saw that the size XS was sold out on line. I was hoping for a second cut, but I don't think it will make it.
As for the fall, how about the La Dominante Cardi? It has gold and bits in red which would very autumnal(?) for the dress.
Ohmygoodness! Ok, I didn't really want to like this dress since I never saw it, but now that I know it can work for petites, aww geez. Should I go on a hunt since it's now sold out online or leave it alone?
Well, it looks terrific on you and it will look perfect for your little one's 1st birthday! It's going to look great with boots and a cardi since it will be cooler in October. But don't really ask me for styling tips, I'm more of a copycat. :)
Oooh, I can't wait to get mine! (I think it's supposed to arrive today or tomorrow.) I'm kinda hoping it won't work, that it will be terrible on me, because then I won't have to wrestle with whether or not I'm allowed to keep it. But seeing how well it fits you, hope for that is waning. Fingers crossed! (Or not?)
Diem - I noticed that this morning, too - I didn't think it would sell so quickly with the first md - glad you were able to get your size! I hope you love it! I'll have to take a closer look at that cardi.
Gemma - I'm worried it may be too big for you, honestly :( It's roomy on the top...I'd rank it as a bit bigger then the Beda and I know that didn't work for your frame...hopefully someone else can weigh in with sizing, but that's my take on it - hope it helps you decide whether to give it a shot.
Carol - good luck not loving it(has anyone not loved this dress? I think you're in trouble)...I can't wait to see you in yours when it comes!
Ooh that dress looks sooo cute on you! I think orange and cream would go great together and I'd match it with a brown toned tights. Black would work as well and I don't think it looks too halloween! :)
Two words: I'm dead.
Actually I lied. I have more to say:
I LOVE the Compeer on you!! The color is just divine. What a gorgeous dress!
Okay, good to hear! I'll leave it alone. Also because I just got (really, just now) the Chorus Shirtdress from UPS and it actually fits up top. Yes, I ripped it open and tried it on that fast! It's a bit quirky with the frogs, but a deal at $70. My boys like it, but husband kinda raised an eyebrow. Thanks for the sizing tip and save of $130.
I endorse this purchase all the way baby! I love mine and can't wait to wear it. I think it will be my first day of school dress :)
I just did a polyvore styling the Compeer. I think the safe way is with browns and creams but I think it would look really fantastic with a deep rich navy blue. I would avoid black boots (halloween). Your new brown bow boots with this dress is going to be a power outfit- I don't know which is better, the boots or the dress!
The dress is adorable on you! I agree that the Oxfords don't work as well as they could. On my blog, I do a lot of styling. If you wouldn't mind, I would love to do a post on styling the Compeer dress for fall, keeping all of the concerns you had in mind. What would you think of this? Thanks!
Wow, the dress looks gorgeous on you. I never saw the dress in person so not sure what size I should go with. I'm usually a size 4 and sometimes a 2, do think I should go with the xs or sm?
I was hoping to wait for a second cut but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.
TheAnthropologieConnoisseur - I need to go and check out your blog! I'd love if you posted some ideas for the dress - thank you!!!
Annie - Spiffy is also a size two, you can see her wearing the size small here
http://wherethelightsarebright.blogspot.com/2010/06/reviews-unaligned-bands-dress-compeer.html
Hopefully, that helps - it looks like the XS is gone online, so while it would probably work as well, the small would be easier to order without having to call around...Good luck!
Oh I was just all proud of myself for not ordering that dress and passing it up instore, and now after seeing it first on Spiffy and now you ... I'm trying not to get a major case of the regrets!
You look fab - I think a pair of charcoal tights and a fab sweater and you'd be all ready for fall!
Oh, those boots. Those boots are delicious!
That is a fantastic dress! I tend to be a little colorful so I'd probably wear yellow tights...or turquoise! Turquoise would be pretty with that color.
You look adorable! I've never gotten to see that dress in person since it didn't make it to my store, but I love the color and the fit is great on you. I'm still hoping it makes it to second cut so I might have a chance at it. ;-)
I like Cindi's idea of pairing it with cream and brown. I'd definitely try it with brown boots. It will be a great outfit for your son's October birthday celebration!
It's completely charming Jan! I've been so curious about this one but so deterred by the sale price even. I'm not feeling the oxfords with the dress either? Maybe with some tights as an intermediary between the two? As for the boots, I've decided that you will order them and post a review :) They look high and unusually wide in the calf area.
This dress look just darling on you, Jan. The length is perfect -- I absolutely love it. For fall I think I would pair it with navy pumps, or perhaps with brown booties? I'm not a huge fan of tights (I usually pick skin-toned nylons), but I may change my mind this year!
I think I would wear a printed cardi with fall colors and brown tights?! I would have to try it on to know but I usually pair that color with cream, brown, and plum. I love that dress on you Jan you look so cute!:)
You look so cute in this dress and I don't think you look too Halloween-ish with the cute Oxfords at all..it's not a true orange...just a shade of it. I'd pair it with browns, creams and purples too...maybe gray depending on the actual shade of orange it is. Can't wait to see those boots on ya...they are so cute!
I love that dress on you! I'm not an orange person because that color really doesn't look good on me so I don't have any great styling tips for you. But I agree with everyone else that brown and cream are your best bet. I also like deep plum, navy or even grey. And I think the boots you posted would be cute with it.
Thank you SO much for the kind comments! They really mean so much! I'm glad you enjoyed the post!
Post a Comment