Saturday, August 14, 2010

Good, Bad, Ugly & The Best for Last

Today has largely been spent preparing for my SIL & BIL 's visit from California. They will be meeting us at church tomorrow morning, spending the night and most of Monday with us. I really enjoy both of them, but in general house guests give me huge amounts of anxiety (cleaning the house, cooking for company, preventing my boys from showing off and being insane...) So I was happy to escape the impending reality and head to Anthropologie for a short stint this afternoon.

First for some good news - I have long admired the Weave the Ring skirt, but never tried it on because I assumed the length would look ridiculous on me. And then there it was today on the sale rack, and the moment I spied it I knew if it were my size I'd have to give it a chance. Fate. I think it actually fits me similarly to the Seabound Skirt. Yes, it is long. But I love it, and I don't even care. I can't wait to wear it with my Blooming Lattice Cardigan like other bloggers before me - so cute. And who knows, it might even see a second price cut in my 14 day price adjustment window - fingers crossed.

There wasn't too much good news following this find. Most of what I tried on today just didn't work for me. Starting with the Kirklees Sweater Coat (xs)

*I thought it looked drab IRL
*It itched (I'm really sensitive to wool)
*The sleeves were too long for me
*I absolutely hated the way it looked unbuttoned
*The cut was otherwise cute and there was room for winter clothes underneath
*The collar needed adjusting or it overlapped/layed funny (see pic)
*I do think the peter pan collar is perfectly sweet!

The sweater coat I was able to "get over" pretty quickly. However, I tried it on with the Cohort Corduroys (size 25) which I had very high hopes for. I imagined myself buying them in multiple colors. I dreamed they would fit like my ON boyfriend jeans and chinos and be an easy staple for Fall. Unfortunatly....

*The fit through the legs was tight, I felt like a sausage in them
*Very straight cut, not the boyfriend fit I had expected
*I had to cuff the bottoms so much they looked bulky
*The waist gaped
*Ugh. I hated them. End of story.

The Count the Waves Dress (xs)was another piece I wanted to love.
Actually, I did love it. Only it didn't love me back.


*Way too big everywhere. Top, Waist, Bottom
*Too long too
*The skirt felt surprisingly business like and structured paired with such a comfy top

I actually thought the Count the Waves was enormous on me. Until I tried the Curtain Call Dress(xs) What the Fudgsicles??? This dress was so (and I do mean SO) cute on the rack. Honestly, I held it up and it didn't look overwhelming in the least. This picture doesn't begin to tell the story. The sleeves were so large I could have flapped my arms and taken flight. And check out the hips I kid you not, I wanted to call the SA inside just to share the hilarity of this piece on me. I don't think this picture makes the dress look good, but trust me it looks about a million times better in this photo then it did IRL. Pity, because it was so (SO!) cute!!!

Okay, and the best for last. I knew when I had this skirt on something seemed "off" and duh, I had it askew (which was actually centered in this case) the whole time. But even so, I loved the White Noise Skirt (xs) Online it would never have caught my eye and it looks a lot bulkier in the product shot then it is IRL. I truly didn't want to take this piece off, it was cute as a button. The sweater construction will be so cozy come Fall. I definitely want to buy this skirt. And soon.

I don't wear pencil skirts, so this is a happy alternative for me. It reminds me a lot of the Twilit Skirt in color and cut, so if you missed out on that, you might want to consider this instead.

Like I said, you'll have to overlook my stupidity in how I centered the pleat. And note that you truly do snap yourself into this skirt with rows of buttons. I hope none of my boys tug too hard for my attention when I wear it....

So there you have it. I returned the $10 shift, my Looping Lanes Belt (I hoped they'd have one to exchange it with, but they did not) and the Montgolfier Skirt that I bought forever ago, but haven't worn yet - I never found a top I loved with it, and I couldn't fully commit to the bubble hem. I bought only the Weave the Ring Skirt. Which means to my credit, I actually did leave with a credit! Whoohoo!

11 comments:

Sara-You, Me and Anthropologie said...

I love the White Noise Skirt on you! I can't wait to try it on myself (hopefully tomorrow).

Gemma said...

I'm actually in Atlanta now. I think I missed all the good stuff since the big sale was was last Tuesday. I'm glad you were able to get the Weave the Ring skirt. Can't wait to see it on you. I like the Kirklees Sweater Coat (but not sure after your review) and the White Noise Skirt. Did you try on the Seaside Fields dress? It's a bit big up top, but seems to work otherwise and still looks okay.

I picked up the Lingering Rays, another Unveiled tank and the bird pillows which were down to $30.

Have a great day! Oh, and if I see a Looping Lanes, I'll pick it up for you.

Tifani said...

Now I'm sad that we don't see that first skirt on you. I've seen it on others and always thought it would suit you.

Pamela said...

I love the white noise skirt on you. I'm so glad you showed that bc i thought the product shot made it look bulky, too!! I really want to try that sweater coat. I saw a twitter pic of Kim wearing it and nearly fell over when I found out it was in stores. I love it, but maybe it's one of those things that is either a hit or miss.

I am so impressed that you left the store with credit. Good job! I am never so self controlled :)

Jamie - Thrifty Threads said...

The White Noise skirt looks like it fits you so nicely -- the length is perfect! And I can't wait to see how you style the Weave the Ring skirt. I realized that I don't have any black and white skirts in my collection -- I just might need to track it down!

Good luck with hosting your house guests!

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

The Weave the Ring is such a pretty piece and I bet it'd be great for fall too with some black boots.

Must go ogle at the White Noise Skirt now - how did you find the fit?

Have fun with the ILs!

greatbleuheron said...

This is why blogs are like crack: now I want the White Noise Skirt! It looks really good on you.

Hope you have a nice time with your visitors!

Beth

Jessica said...

I love the white noise skirt on you And you're right, I never would have given it a second glance based on the product shot. But now I'll be trying that bad boy on at my next visit. Thanks for all the reviews and I hope you have a great time with your family!

Jan Russell said...

Thanks girls - I hope you all get the chance to check ou the White Noise Skirt soon!

Lisa - I felt like it was a nice slim fit and not too big in the waist - I think it definitely had some give with the sweater construction, so it should be somewhat forgiving in that area. The length was awesome, not too long!

Gemma - you are impossibly sweet - thank you for keeping your eyes open for the LL. It sounds like you found some great pieces in Atlanta - hooray for a shoppnig day!

Tifani - fear not, I'll be wearing it soon ;)

Jamie - The Weave the Ring is actually navy and white - but close enough to fill your closet void - it's really, really sweet and I hope you can find one if you decide to try it - Wayne PA had several on Saturday.

Pamela - I just saw Kim's pictures and WOW, the sweater coat is way, way cuter on her - I think her taller height and coloring are much better suited for this style. I hope you get to try it soon, and that it works for you!

Jenni said...

The White Noise skirt is darling on you!! And I'm so glad you got to pick up the Weave the ring skirt...you will look fabulous in it! Hope you're having a great visit with your family...thanks for all the great Anthro reviews...it always helps to see things on vs just the product pictures!

triciathomas said...

Yay for your credit!! I am sad about the Kirkless sweater not working out I am in love with it!! I do love the white noise skirt on you and had not given it much thought! I think I am in dire need of a trip to my local Anthro!