Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Last Time I Asked My Husband For A Watch, I Got A Goat

Yep, you read that right. Let me set the scene for those of you who don't know the story. It was a few weeks before our 5 year anniversary (milestone!) and I was 8 months pregnant with our second son (hormonal!) I wanted a (pricey!) watch for the occasion. Jonathan and I had some sort of CrAzY (I'm Italian!) fight and I sent the watch back days before our anniversary and told him I didn't want anything from him. My husband decided (and we still argue about the intentions!) to use the money he would have spent on my new watch (his words in the card!) to buy a goat through World Vision instead. A wonderful and worthy cause? Of course! What I wanted for our five year anniversary? Hardly. We do laugh about it now. But I have to be in the right mood, otherwise it just makes me shoot him dirty looks with death stares of bitterness...

All this to say, my birthday, Christmas and my ten year anniversary are all fast approaching. And he can totally make things up to me.
http://couture.zappos.com/n/p/dp/68904932/c/267784.html

Oh watch! You slay me!
This is all Carol's fault.

*Fine print - when I say, my birthday, Christmas and Anniversary - I do not mean to imply that this watch could be a combined gift for all three. I don't do combined gifts (aka the year I told my dh our new couches could also be my birthday gift and he believed me)

*Fine print II - yeah, yeah it's the thought that counts. Don't worry, I'm feeding that story to my kids ;)

17 comments:

Dea said...

You are so so cute Jan, loved this hilarious story about your goat!! I was just thinking, you're such a great female role model for your boys and they're lucky to have that. Once again, I want to be a mom just like you when I grow up (not that you're much older than me)!!

Jamie - Thrifty Threads said...

Oh my goodness -- this is too, too funny! The moment I read your post title I burst out laughing. My landlords must have been puzzled to hear my sudden cackling. This watch is gorgeous...but here's my question: given that this is just one gift and you have three special occasions approaching, what other two items will you be asking for ; )

anna said...

good choice! it's adorable!!

also, i had a good laugh over your fine print! ha ha!

Inkmark said...

This is outrageously funny! Now I am curious about what the other two items are.

FourJedis said...

Oh wow. That's crazy you got a goat. The watch is gorgeous and I hope you get it. Gifts are huge in our family as well. My husband tried to pull the we're too old for gifts thing, but I nixed that right away and he's getting better at gifts with age.

Pamela said...

Oh my gosh. I've heard about those kind of programs where you could buy an animal but never knew anyone that actually DID it! Funny story!!

That watch is just beautiful!!!! And with you, b
No gift combining!!

SRP said...

also know as the classic male double dip. Mine did it once for my bday and valentines day.. it was ugly

vintageglam1234 said...

Hehehe, very funny post Jan! Now that we're married, my husband and I no longer have to surprise each other on special occasions. We ask each other what we want before the occasion and they go out and get that. I know what i want for my birthday this year - an Anthro dress!
Good luck with getting what you want you want (the gorgeous watch) next time :-) trust those Pretty Things to entice us!
cheers
Jen
vintageglammz.blogspot.com

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

My BF is generous when he buys me gifts .... problem is he's like almost every other guy and never remembers any occasions, etc. so he rarely does.

I can't even begin to make the mental leap from watch to a goat - but I guess it is the thought that counts? Maybe? Not so much?

Tifani said...

I so remember the goat story. Clif and I actually talked about your goat story last week. It made an impression on me. ;)

Thanks for reminding me that World Vision provides animals to people who can really use them. We are studying Africa and reading a book produced by Heifer International. I know when we are done that the girls will want to buy an animal, and I wanted to give them a different option for the organization.

As for the watch, it is inexpensive as far as watches go, and it is SO YOU that it should have your name on the band. I hope one of the new male readers of your blog takes the hint.

Alicia Marie said...

Love this post. So funny. One year we went shopping the day before my birthday and my husband told me to get whatever I wanted. He never told me it was my actual birthday "gift" from him. The day after my birthday when I was in tears, he told me he thought he made it clear. Nope.
Love the watch.

Cindi said...

Haha this is such a cute and funny post. The cute little watch is way too generous of you to ask of him. :) The other two gifts should be just as, if not even more special. I hope you blog about this more!

Erin said...

Oh Jan, this is too funny! I think we can all relate :) The 'no gift' has definitely happened to me for a Valentine's (even a card and/or flowers would have been fine), and an anniversary! Ack!
The watch is adorable - so YOU!

greatbleuheron said...

Hey, now this is the upside of having your husband read your blog. Does he know what present you're hoping for? I'd say now he very likely DOES. :)

Beth

Carol said...

Sigh...what is it with some men (mine included) and the overlooking of Very Important Gifting Holidays??? Btw, I got an alarm clock for my last Christmas gift, so uh...yeah, you can bet I'll be getting another timepiece this year. ;D

And yes, it IS my fault, but hey, imagine how much worse it would have been for me to keep this all to myself! That would have been mean.

Lori said...

Too funny! I haven't ever asked my husband for a specific gift. He takes it upon himself to try to figure out something I'd love that I would never buy for myself.

Unknown said...

That's a memorable one! Beautiful watch. I fully support the non-mixation of birth/holidays!