Saturday, October 16, 2010

Torn

Don't worry, a camera with a remote is in the works! We are currently in the SLR market, and I'd love to hear any opinions you might have on deciding between the Canon or Nikon? Really, that's more of my husbands area of expertise and I've put him in charge or researching and purchasing the camera but it doesn't hurt to poll the masses. I on the other hand, am obsessing over bags at the moment. I haven't bought a new bag in three years - so the time has come! I spotted the Marc Jacobs Baby Groovee in Bloomingdales recently and fell in love. I just cannot decide on which color - the Currant or Dirty Martini? Help! The bags I currently have in rotation are not even close in color to either one (orange, winter white, and yellow) so I can't rule either out for being similar to what I already own. Which do you think I should go with?

Decisions


The bag and camera pretty much round out my birthday/Christmas/anniversary wishlist. With the exception, of course, of using my Anthropologie Birthday Discount at the end of the month - but I'll save those picks for another post ;)

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally prefer the Currant, but both could be gorgeous! Have you seen both of them in person? If not, that could help you decide!

andrea said...

I like the currant better too. And the Nikon.

The Frosts said...

I have a Nikon and love it. Honestly though, I don't really think you can go wrong between the Canon/Nikon. You'll probably get split opinions on it. We got the D90 because at the time it was the only DSLR that shot HD video. Having one camera that does both photos and video (high quality) is SO convenient.

I will give you my opinion on lenses. Skip the kit lens. Seriously, it's a crappy lens. I'd go with a 50mm 1.4/1.8 and a 24-70 2.4 lens. You can get the Tamaron brand instead of Nikkor and it will be about half the price. Unless you want to drop $1500 on a lens ;0). Call me if you want more opinions - I'm full of them.

Love the currant bag too. So fun!

Mich said...

I have a Nikon D60 and I really love it. It took most of the more recent picture on my blog, if you want to see how well the camera shoots even with a total amateur taking the pictures.

I also have the Baby Groovee, and it's my favorite purse and probably the best deal I've ever gotten (on sale at Nordstrom for $150). Mine is magenta, though. I think my favorite color is Dirty Martini, because it's a little more neutral and shows off the details of the bag better. But both colors are great, though.

Saya said...

I'd take Nikon over Canon any day of the week. I'm a Nikon girl all the way.

As far as purses go I much prefer the color of the Dirty Martini version.

Jess said...

I had nothing but trouble from my Nikon and it now sits on a shelf. I have a Canon and pink puffy heart it. I'm extremely hard on cameras, though, I'm not going to lie.

Bags? Currant for sure. It's gorgeous. But so is the Dirty Martini. How about pick just one camera and BOTH bags? :)

Collette Osuna said...

Hello....I have BOTH of those cameras:) I actually prefer to use the Canon....:)

The bags....LOVE the Dirty Martini:)

Stop by and say Hello ♥
Statements in Fashion Blog

shopwithm said...

Jealous of the new camera purchase!!

Love that bag in both colors!! If I had to pick, I'd pick the dirty martini, just b/c it's more neutral and will go with everything.

Cindi said...

I love the currant color!!! It will transition great into winter and then spring.

I have owned a nikon and a canon. If you're getting starter SLRs, I'd go with the nikon since their lower end SLRs come with more options. If you're buying a higher end camera I'd go with the canon. Canon really has the market in high end SLRs and we have one we just love!

Gemma said...

We just got the Nikon D90. I'm okay with it. I have to learn more about it. Right now all I do is put it on auto and shoot a picture. I did have a canon SLR back in the day of film. Does that make me really old? And I'm not ashamed to admit I loved my photography class in college where we developed the film in a dark room! I know, no help.

I like the Currant color...this I can help you on. :) Plus, I just bought the Sliced Eggplant bag from Anthro which is kind of in the same color family.

triciathomas said...

I LOVE my Canon 40D and SWEAR by it!!! I think it's a great camera and takes such beautiful pictures. I do have to say that the best part of the camera is the lenses I have gotten for it. I don't think you could go wrong with either camera but I really love my Canon and my hubby also uses one to photograph peoples teeth (before and after shots) for braces. I also love the currant bag!!

The Pretty Pauper said...

I have a Nikon D40 as well. Got it off Craigslist at a great price! As far as the bag, I would get dirty martini. It is a great neutral and you could use it in multiple season. The Currant one looks more like a fall only bag (despite it being a gorg. color)!

-Amanda
(The Pretty Pauper)
Feel free to follow me!
prettypauperstyle.blogspot.com

Carol said...

I don't know anything about cameras, but Kathryn has a canon, and my sister-in-law shoots on a canon too, I think, and her photos are amazing.

I will say that I love that currant color. SO pretty!

Peggy said...

currant!! Love it!

SRP said...

Currant and Canon ( I have owned 4 canon cameras- customer service is untouched)

SRP said...

Currant and Canon ( I have owned 4 canon cameras- customer service is untouched)

Erin said...

This is so my Christmas list! We haven't started the camera research yet, but we've looked at Nikons a little bit. I'm eager to see what you get so I can continue my research! :)

Both purse colors are absolutely lovely, but I think I'm going to go with the Dirty Martini color. It's an awesome neutral that could be worn for a lot of the year. I don't think you can go wrong with either option - purse or camera - though! :)

Pamela said...

I love the currant handbag. I have no opinions on cameras. I am in the market for an DSLR myself and have heard great things about Canon from friends, but I think in the end, both are great brands. I'm loving reading the opinions you are getting because it's helping me out, too!!! :)

Tifani said...

Currant for sure.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either camera. Pick one and go with it. Do take the advice on lenses.

alice said...

This is a funny post because I own both the MJ bag in the currant color and a Canon 50D! So naturally I would vouch for those two. I love them both to pieces and I'm sure you would too!

Unknown said...

I would so go Currant! I bought a purple bag thinking I would use it occassionaly and it has become a staple accessory in my wardrobe :)