Friday, July 9, 2010

Croup & Keeper!

Yesterday was pretty much the longest day, ever. My 8 month old woke up at 1am and gave me the scare of my life. He was barking like a seal and struggling to get a breath. Yes, I've read all about The Croup, and yes it rattled around somewhere in my delirious mind - but so did severe asthma attack, allergic reaction and choking on his brother's lego. Watching him gasp and gag, I panicked. My husband woke up and panicked too, our hearts stood frozen together as we rushed him to the hospital. He needed oral steroids and a nebulizer treatment. After several hours at the ER and a follow up at his pediatrician later that morning, we finally had our little guy breathing better - thank goodness!

At home, Graham was tired from the long night and clingy from his low fever - so I sat with him pretty much all day. At some point it dawned on me that my Dagmar Dress was going to be delivered, and so I kept my ears perked up for the truck. Except by 3 o'clock it still hadn't arrived. So I called over to UPS and they informed me that despite having arrived at my nearby distribution center the day before, it wouldn't be delivered to me until Monday.

Honestly, after the night I'd had, it was the least of my worries. So imagine my surprise when at 7:30pm my son discovered an Anthro box at the front door. My UPS guy *always* delivers to the side door. I have no idea when it got there, or why the tracking system wasn't updated, but I was happy for the bright spot, just the same.

Here is the Dagmar Dress (size 0)

I think it's pretty adorable with the Hallowed Halls Oxfords

I don't know if you can tell from the comparison pictures, but the waist of the Dagmar is a couple of inches higher, thus making the pockets sit higher, and the overall length just a smidge shorter then the Two Wheeler. Also, the bodice is a lot more fitted on my frame, while the Two Wheeler was definitely large on top. Color wise, the blue is a better fit with my complexion and hair, but that is the only category the Two Wheeler "wins" in for me. I really shouldn't keep both, and when my clothes are big on me, they make me feel big in them...so I'm keeping the Dagmar. I love it and have restored hope that I can try shirtdresses from Anthro in the future (I've never posted the picture of myself in the Reed Shirtdress - it was that bad).

Finally, here is a quick OOTD that was completely inspired by Erin over at Designer Me

I'm not sure why, but wearing the Night Skating Top with white pants had never occurred to me, until I saw her in this cute look and knew I wanted to recreate it!

We had Spaghetti for dinner that night, and amazingly my white pants survived ;)

21 comments:

Ashley Wilson said...

Oh Jan! you look adorable in the Dagmar! And I love it with your new shoes! Your poor baby, I am glad that he is ok. I hope that you have a happy, less drama filled weekend. p.s. what size did you get the two wheeler in? I loved the coloring on you- is it an option to size down? It sounds to me like it is too big on you. I had to size down to a 2 for it to fit me perfectly.

Jan Russell said...

Thanks Ashley! The Two Wheeler is also a size 0, so I'm not able to size down. If I can find one once it gets marked down, I might reconsider having it altered...

Sara-You, Me and Anthropologie said...

Glad to hear your baby is ok :) You look awesome in the Dagmar Dress. It looks like it fits you really well and the color really pops on you!

Erin said...

I'm so glad your baby boy is okay!! I hope you all have a nice low-key weekend to recover.
I absolutely love the Dagmar Dress on you!! It is perfect! The waist is definitely at the right spot with this one, though I do still like the Two-Wheeler on you, too. Maybe come sale time!
Also, thank you so much for the shout out! You are too sweet! You look great in your Night Skating top and white pants. I swear that Night Skating Top is one of my favorite buys from Anthro :)

Kathryn said...

Oh gosh, what a scare! I'm glad to hear your baby is okay! The Dagmar looks awesome - I love that color on you!

Gemma said...

I'm so happy your little one is doing okay. What happened? What did he have?
The Dagmar looks so great on you! I really like the color and it does fit better.
Have a great weekend!

Jan Russell said...

Thanks Sara - I wasn't totally sure if the color worked on me, but I do love the shade of red!

Erin - the Night Skating Top is just so flattering with the ruched detail on the front, I love it, too! Thanks again for the cute idea :)

Thanks Kathryn - it really was scary, when I first got to him I thought I might need to call 911 and I am NOT an over-reactor when it comes to my kids being sick. We're so glad he's okay!

Gemma - it was a case of Croup. I know this is fairly common among little ones, but Harrison & Sawyer never had it, and it scared me to death to see Graham that way. I just wasn't sure if he had something lodged in his throat, or if he was having an allergic reaction...we were so glad when it wasn't anything more serious. Let me know if you take the hem up on your Two Wheeler - I'm curious how it turns out, I might go back for it when it hits sale, it sounds like there are still some floating around in stores...we'll see ;)

Gemma said...

Ok, so it was croup. Poor little thing. I'm glad it wasn't an allergic reaction or lego toy! I know exactly how you feel though. I always freak out when my boys make any type of weird noise, fall or run into something. I can't even stand nose bleeds! Have a great night and when I finally get my dress fixed I'll let you know.

Debye said...

All my boys have had Croup but my oldest son had it the worst by far, he had it with Stridor. We did the breathing treatments & steroid shots at the ER quite a few times. Luckily, it something they will grow out of but it is scary (especially the first time). Now when the younger boys get it we start a shower sit in the steam for 15 minutes and then we head straight to the freezer. It relaxes the vocal chords.

On a happier note, I LOVE the Dagmar dress on you and of course, the Hallowed Halls Oxfords ;)

Jan Russell said...

Gemma - and with boys, you know we are in trouble! I'm always nervous with the way my guys run around, fearless.

Debye - that's exactly what happened - Graham woke up with Stridor which I thought might be wheezing and my mind went right to asthma attack. He wasn't actually coughing which is what scared up, it was more like gasping for air :(

Kim said...

Jan, you poor thing. That sounds like quite the scare for you and your husband with your son. I'm so glad to hear he's ok!!
The Dagmar looks fantastic on you and blows the pants off of the Two Wheeler. I also love it with your new shoes - great call keeping this dress!

Pamela said...

How scary!!! My friend, Kelly's son has had bouts with croup so I know how scary that can be. I'm glad he's doing better. But, man, I can't imagine the panic.

Side by side, the Dagmar is the clear winner. I think that red looks smashing against your skintone and then little bit of a higher waist makes all the difference. Good call keeping it. What a nice way to end a hard day.

Carol said...

Oh, Jan! How terrifying! I'm so glad your little one is okay! It's so scary when they get sick like that, and they can't tell you what's wrong. I hate it.

On the other hand, I love you in that Dagmar dress! You look fab in it! I'm so glad you're keeping it. =)

SRP said...

oh poor little guy :(
I'm glad he is ok though, I can't even begin to imagine how frightening that would be.
I do think you are right, the Dagmar is definitely the better fit and I think you look great in the red!

triciathomas said...

What a horrible night!! I hope you little guy is better and you are recovering!!! It's so hard when your kids are sick and you cannot fix anything! I love you in the Dagmar dress you look beautiful!!! It's a total keeper!

Cat said...

How scary, Jan! I'm was so relieved to read on that your little one is okay. What a nightmare! You know I love the dagmar. Overall, between the fit, color, and print, I like it quite a bit more than the two-wheeler.

Jenni said...

Jan--I can't tell you how many times we have been to the ER in the middle of the night with my second son for croupe...those darn breathing treatments and steroid shots are the only thing that will help sometimes. I feel your pain sista!!! Hope he's feeling better now...it always amazes me how they sound so awful while it's happening and usually the next day it's like it never happened. Crazy! On a lighter note, the Dagmar dress is SO CUTE on you! I love it! It's a keeper, for sure!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your little one is okay! Also, I'm thrilled the Dagmar Dress worked out! I agree that it works better than the Two-Wheeler, but if the Two-Wheeler gets to a reasonable sale price in your size, it might be worth it to get it altered (because it was still cute on you!)!

Danielle said...

Ah I remember a panicked trip to the ER with Emma when she was about 18 mos old, and had the croup; as a first time mom I had NO IDEA what was going on and it scared the daylights out of me!!! Glad he is ok. And I love, love, LOVE that red on you - I think it looks great on you!

Tifani said...

The Dagmar is a complete winner!

And bless your sweet baby. I do hope he is 100% better and giving his brothers a run for their money.

Peggy said...

I've been out of town, but just read about your baby! So happy to hear he is doing better! Take care