Sunday, July 4, 2010

OOTD - Hooray for the Red, White & Blue

I was surprised to be one of the few adults wearing red, white & blue at church this morning. Mainly, it was the seniors in their star spangled sweaters, and me....awkward. I am a greeter at the front door and there was no shortage of the "wow, you're decked out!" type of comments. Imagine if I had reversed things and worn my "circus skirt" today - I'm amused just imagining what the reactions would have been.

This dress is about 4 years old from The Loft, and I bought it on super clearance. Unfortunately, it's pretty big an shapeless and has hung unloved in my closet because of the poor fit. Then along came the Looping Lanes Belt to make everything better.

After church my IL's came for lunch and before dessert was served, I quick changed out of my dress and into something more casual.

Lands End Canvas is having a big sale right now, which includes this cute bow tie shirt, as well as the Heritage Cardigan I'm wearing above with my dress.

And if you are still not sold on needing yellow shoes in your closet, consider their close cousin "wheat". I spotted these adorable flats by Lucky on my way out of Macy's the other day and they were so neutral, while still adding a hint of color.


Lucky Brand Valora Flat


Happy 4th of July! I'm grateful for this amazing country, the men and women who have died serving it, and for God who offers freedom from sin every day.

16 comments:

Melissa said...

Both of your outfits are fantastic! That dress is just perfect for the 4th of July and the shoes you bought look especially comfortably and SO cute.

Debbie said...

Happy 4th!! The Looping Lanes belt is perfect with that cute dress. I like the casual outfit too! :-)

Peggy said...

Perfect 4th dress- I love it! I am cracking up at you and the old ladies in their star sweaters at church! haha Well, it was me and 1 baby in our red, white and blue at church too!! heehee Have a great 4th with the fam!!

Jessica said...

You look great! And I feel you on the older ladies being the only ones wearing RWB!

Lorraine said...

Both of your outfits are amazing. You look great! That dessert looks yummy too. It reminds me of the yummy leftover dessert sitting in my fridge waiting for me to eat. Happy 4th of July!

www.lorislooks.blogspot.com

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

Happy 4th - you always look gorgeous and put-together, regardless of when you're dressed up for church or cas'd out for in-laws!

Pamela said...

Happy 4th of July! I loved the pic at the parade. Good job on keeping the flags from poking out the boys' eyes ;-)

Your church outfit looks wonderful! I laughed thinking of the seniors coming in in all their Americana finery. So sweet.

Yum, that pie looks delish! Sounds and looks like a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

all my family wore rw&b to church today. I guess I've trained them well. And we were in the minority. I can't see why?

triciathomas said...

I love both outifts!!! I ordered the looping lanes belt (it's backordered) I feel you taunting me with it and all the darling outfits you wear it with!!! I love your dessert it's perfect and looks AMAZING!

Tifani said...

Your church outfit didn't even look so obviously patriotic to me. You look so cute!!

And, yes, I did take advantage of the Canvas sale. I love you for leading me to that site. I also ordered a few sale swimsuits from Lands End and a pair of clearance shorts for Maggie.

Jenni said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE that cute dress on you with the cardi...perfect dress for the 4th! Also totally in love with that shirt with the bow...I bought the LOFT bow shirt and just haven't worn it yet because I feel like the bow may be too overwhelming...this one looks like perfection though! HMMM...may have to return the LOFT one for this! Decisions, Decisions!! Happy 4th to you!

Carol said...

Haha, I love your patriotic outfit, and I wore my red-plaid Reed shirdress today (to church as well), because I thought it covered the red, blue, and hint-of-white notes for the holiday perfectly! (And I wore it with the Looping Lanes, which makes nearly any outfit better!)

laylablue said...

just imagine if we all showed up at the SAME church yesterday in our festive colors! i opted out of r/w/b for sunday morning, but changed late in the day to a red/white layered tank top duo and an upcycled Tommy HIlfiger fleur de lis print (navy on white) skirt. i toned it down with brown sandals and a heather grey cardigan.

L O V E your new sandals!!!! i think i could wear them to school early this fall; how are they for walking/standing?

p.s. my husband teased me a bit about the r/w/b combo last night and asked me how old i was...
my only defense was that i didn't actually have flags or sequins on my garments!

Dea said...

Jan, you look polished in each outfit. The dress is beautiful and looks great with the looping lanes, while the more casual look is just as lovely, especially the bow shirt!!

Michelle@DomesticationoftheSingleGirl said...

Only you could make a 'poor fit' looks amazing. Pfft. I was totally disappointed reading that the dress was NOT something I could snatch up right now, and considering you're the only person I've ever seen it on...?

:D

Jan Russell said...

Thanks girls for all the sweet words, I love the visual of us all at a picnic together on the 4th - we know how to do holidays right!

laylablue - the shoes are really cushy on the soles, very comfortable for walking!