Tuesday, September 14, 2010

If you were in my (neutral) shoes, WWYD?

I was excited to order the Ellsworth Blouse a couple of weeks ago when it got marked down, and I had lots of ideas in mind for how I would wear it. However, now that I've tried a couple of these outfit sets IRL, I'm thinking I'm going to return it and order the Blushing Bouquet Cardigan instead. I really do love the Ellsworth Blouse, but it's impossible to get on and off (no real idea why, since it's not too tight???) and I'm worried that other reviewers are right when they say that this piece adds bulk. It's just a pity because the bow is SO CUTE it hurts.

See if you agree with my decision to return....

Ellsworth Blouse III

Here I am in look #1 with jeans. I actually prefer this top with a cardi over it because it covers the almost too big armholes and cuts down on the poof of the top. Unfortunately, it also hides the bow!

Side view is nice, front view...I''m feeling wide.


If I get the Blushing Bouquet instead, here is my denim look

Blushing Bouquet III


Onto the Ellsworth with the Alena Skirt (plus, note to self to buy some navy heels for Fall)
Ellsworth Blouse II

Not too noticable, but I am exposing a bit of my unmentionables from the armhole area.

Once again, the front view is killing it for me. Boo.

But I could pair the Blushing Bouquet with the Alena Skirt too. See!
Blushing Bouquet II

If I were keeping the Ellsworth I love it with crisp white. Yes, even after Labor Day.

Ellsworth Blouse
But since I'm probably not keeping it, here is another look with the Blushing Bouquet.
Blusing Bouquet I
I think I've convinced myself. Does the blogging public at large agree that this top should go back?

I already shopped for a pair of earrings and a belt this morning, but I keep hearing the Blushing Bouquet call my name. I'm slightly concerned that it's not really appropriate for Fall/Winter though. Will I really want to wait until Spring to wear it? Should I return the Ellsworth and not buy the BB either? Tell me, what would you do?

Did you all shop? Can't wait to see what goodies made it into your closets this sale round!

26 comments:

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

Can you believe I've abstained from getting anything this sale go-around? Take that, Anthro - FS goes away and that money leak from my wallet to your hefty accounts disappear ...

I love the concept of the blouse but wasn't too impressed with it IRL. If you're not loving the blouse - back it should go!

SRP said...

Jan, I really like the blouse and I don't think it adds bulk, but if your not feeling it-- send it back. I do like it on you and you look really nice in that deep dark navy color!

can I confess? I ordered the cardigan! I picked up an extra assignment at work and as a reward I decided it will be my "anthro money" (i think i have a serious delusional problem/issue) anyway.. I hope I like it although I am peeved about shipping costs and I HATE paying but I just don't have time to hit the store when I'm working.

Finally, do you have that bag in real life? everytime you post it, i want it, can you put it in an OOTD if you have it, I'm dying to see it!

Kim said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE the Ellsworth on you! That first outfit is so pretty, I'm totally copying it! I don't think you look wide at all. Also, just fyi - you can move the bow over if your cardigan is covering it - it pins on and is removable :-)
I say keep, but I'm not a fan of that cardigan either. Really though, you look pretty in the blouse and not wide!

Jan Russell said...

Lisa - I agree, I've been a lot less impulsive with my purchases now that free shipping is gone. I hope it comes back soon!

Spiffy - NO! And it's making me slightly insane. I keep going to Lori's shoes website and putting it in my cart. And then not ordering because I am a bit of a snob about not carrying "cheapie" bags - I have no idea why??? And I'm annoyed with myself that I can't just pull the trigger. I'm liking a Rebecca Minkoff at the moment and that's standing in my way of committing. I'd rather have a real leather bag...but the other one is SO CUTE. Ugh. Slap me.

Jan Russell said...

Aww - thank you Kim! I do like the cardigan, but now my fickle self is convinced I wouldn't wear it in the Winter. Thank you for the tip on the pin, I might have to play around with it again - the bow is just such a sweet element to the blouse!

Cindi said...

I really do love the blouse on you and between the two, I'd go with the blouse. But then I'm a huge fan of simple cardigans so I'm biased. Go with what's in your gut and what you'll think will get the most wear out of it. :) You'll look great as long as you're comfortable and confident.

ElleBelle said...

I splurged and bought the Rebecca Minkoff MAM in grey, and I LOVE it. I seriously cannot say enough good things about it....

jenny said...

I love the first outfit on you and think you should keep that top Vs. the floral cardi. While I like the cardi, it screams spring/summer to me. However, I do know what you mean about some ruffled tops making you feel wider. I had that ruffled ivory top from Loft with the black dots in and returned it because it made me feel wide. (However, it may have been just that the fit was off bc i got a petite small bc they were out of xs and I am 5'6) Nonetheless, you are sooo tiny that even if you have a little extra "poof" you still look very small to me! It is a lovely outfit...I mean it! BTW, I also love the heels-are they recent?

jenny said...

I love the first outfit on you and think you should keep that top Vs. the floral cardi. While I like the cardi, it screams spring/summer to me. However, I do know what you mean about some ruffled tops making you feel wider. I had that ruffled ivory top from Loft with the black dots in and returned it because it made me feel wide. (However, it may have been just that the fit was off bc i got a petite small bc they were out of xs and I am 5'6) Nonetheless, you are sooo tiny that even if you have a little extra "poof" you still look very small to me! It is a lovely outfit...I mean it! BTW, I also love the heels-are they recent?

Debbie said...

This is a tough choice since both are nice but I think I like the cardigan a little bit better. It looks great with the boots & skirt in your last look and that seems like a fall outfit to me so I'd say it definitely works for fall. :-)

Unknown said...

I think the blouse is a good look for you, esp in the 1st pic. You look sexy, from blogger to blogger nothing more. *lol* You might just *feel* wide. Don't go off of the pics. I know I feel wider in voluminous ruffles, but I feel pretty so I've kept a few of them. Yeah, let go of the cardi. It seems you really want it based on all the outfits you created, but there will be more fancied up cardis in the future if you need to let it go for now.

I'm w/you & Lisa. No fs from Anthro and not so much lookie lookie from me right now.

Cat said...

The first outfit is absolutely lovely lovely on you without a hint of extra widening. I'm not a fan of the cardi so between the two, the blouse is my clear favorite. However, if you don't feel as awesome as you look in the top, get rid of it. Who needs things that don't make you feel made of awesome?

Tifani said...

Keep the top. The outfit is an absolute keeper, especially with Kim's suggestion about the bow. I'm not as wild about it with the skirt, but I think it is an issue of maybe needing the cardigan? I have the free flow tank and love it only with something over it. I think it makes me look wider than I am when I wear it alone.

Pamela said...

I don't think anything could add bulk to your little figure, but that being said...it's all about how it makes you FEEL. If you don't feel at the top of your game, go for something different. If your hesitant on it, you probably won't reach for it. The cardigan is sooo cute!

The only I bought this sale was the Keeping Tabs tee that I found on 2nd cut this afternoon for $20. Nothing else. whew...

triciathomas said...

I really like the Ellsworth on you (it was a disaster on me!) But if you don't like it and it will become 'one of those things that hangs in your closet and you regret later' return it! I have teetered on whether or not to return an item and when I do I rarely regret it (except the Maeshowe shirtdress I still wish I had) It's up to how you feel! I think you look lovely in it!

Jan Russell said...

See - that's what I love about being able to get opinions, it's so much easier to talk purchases through with girls who understand! Thanks for all the sweet comments.

Cindi - it's true, solid cardis get a lot more mileage in my closet too!

ElleBelle - ooh, your new bag is surely gorgeous! I have my eye on a Nikki...

Jenny - yes, the shoes are available through a lot of retailers - they are Steve Madden Ultra in Blush :)

Debbie - I've had my eye on the cardi for...forever, so I think my head is stuck on it being a Spring/Summer piece! It really is pretty though...I've managed to resist all day!

Gigi - I think you are inside of my brain right now! I do like the blouse with the cardi and jeans, and I don't have to ever wear it with the skirt...so..now I'm leaning towards keeping it!

Cat - made of awesome! I love that!

Tifani - I think you hit the nail on the head! I really dislike it with the skirt the more I look at the pictures. I think it needs somethng with more structure on the bottom.

Pamela - hooray! I'm so glad you were able to score that tee on 2nd cut - finally it's the price it SHOULD be for a tee!

Thanks Tricia - I think because of the glitz on the bow this blouse makes me think of the holidays, and I could see myself wearing it say to my kids Winter Concerts at school or something like that?

OOOOOH and I REALLY think I'm going to have to hang onto it and try it with a pair of winter white wool slacks - now that could push me over the "keep it" edge.

THanks again for weighing in girls! It truly does help!

Debye said...

OK, I am weighing in too late but I totally agree with your final decision...keep the top :)

Carol said...

Hmm...well, here I go being a bad influence - I think you should keep the top and get the cardi. ;) Don't tell your husband I said that!

And I'm totally with you on having a hang up about carrying "cheapy" bags. For some reason, I'm fine with fabric and canvas bags, etc, I just can't break through the fake-leather barrier. I don't know what my problem is either...but I'm so glad I'm not alone!

Lori said...

I love your blog!! I'm a mom of two boys so I get where you are coming from.
As for the blouse, if you're not feeling it, I would return it. Btw, I don't think it makes you look wide at all :)

nomoresweatpants.blogspot.com

Jamie - Thrifty Threads said...

I'm such a bad influence. Just like Carol, I think you should keep both! The blouse looks amazing on you -- and I think you must be looking at a secret stash of pictures that you're not showing us because you don't look wide at all. Not one bit. And the cardigan is so beautiful. Perhaps a little summery, but I could also see it being very cute with some skinny cords.

Gemma said...

I like the blouse on you and don't think you look wide in it. I'm sure you already decided to keep it, but just wanted to give you another "keep it" vote.
I'm with Carol...order the Blushing Bouquet as well. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan
I love your polyvore with the cardi and the alana skirt. The top is pretty, but i dont think it does your figure any justice. Thanks for the outfit inspirations
ali

LRA said...

Loooooooove the outfit with the black top, mushroom/brown cardigan and dark jeans. Absolutely love it!!!!!

Jenni said...

Jan--I actually really like the blouse on you...it looks adorable! I see what you mean with the bounce of the ruffles on you, but I don't think it adds too much bulk at all. The outits you've come up with it are so cute! Keep it, keep it, keep it!! =)

laylablue said...

my vote:

the ellsworth blouse is adorable. looks super with slim jeans, maybe even a pencil skirt. you may also try dressier pants... i'm not loving it with the fuller skirts, which is not to say that i don't like the fuller skirts, because they are great! i like to stick to one full piece balanced by a slimmer piece. i'm short (5'2"), and i like to tell myself that a slim/full combo is the right thing :)

SRP said...

Jan, I just realized I never checked back to read your comment about the bag- I have a rebecca minkoff mini morning after bag and it's really very worth the $$- I got it off gilt for $350 - keep your eyes open, they are out there for less than retail :)