Thursday, September 30, 2010

Issues

The first of which is my completely frizzed out hair. It's been raining buckets here all day. Ordinarily, I like storms/rain, but not with the humidity, and not with babies to load in and out of car seats making it impossible to hold an umbrella, and thus defeating the purpose of doing my hair to begin with. But that's not what I'm here to rant about...

I know we've covered the topic of these boots before. But I can't get the nagging feeling out of my head that they just look "off" on me. I think the way the bows stick out, make me feel like my legs look wider...and if you enlarge the pictures you can see they do this weird buckling thing at the bottom of the shaft? At least I think it's the shaft, I'm not up to speed on my boot terminology. Basically they are loose around my ankle, but fit my actual foot - does that make sense? This causes the material of the boot to kind of sink in...hard to explain...

But, but, BUT, I love them in the box. I keep trying to talk myself into loving them on my feet, but somehow it's not working. Sobs.

And then there is the Clinton Trench...
I'm wearing a size 0P, which I think fits pretty perfectly. The sleeve length is spot on. The details are extraordinary, the material is divine, the lining makes me squeal with delight.

So what's my issue (besides the gray skies possibly dampening my mood?) The collar. Um, it's rather high maintenance. I mean, I'm not going to adjust those ruffles every five minutes when I have the thing on. And they certainly don't lay right without the proper attention. If you own this coat, does the collar have a mind of it's own when you wear yours?

Okay, wait - let's ditch the frumpy ponytail and take another look-see.

So what do you think? (Besides that I'm neurotic)

Am I being too picky? Will the boots haunt me if I return them? Will the trench take on a nice shape once it's had time to breath out of the box (does it need steaming???) I think I need to try them both on again tomorrow. And possibly the next day too - making up my fickle mind is hard to do.

32 comments:

Jessica said...

I don't think those boots make your legs look wider at all. I love them and think they are super cute on you! I haven't had a chance to wear mine out yet so I can't say anything from experience.
I would return the coat, that would bother me about having to fix the collar every 5 mins. But I like things to not be fussy. Although the color is divine on you.

Anonymous said...

Jan,

I have been a long time reader first time commenter. Let me preface this by saying I absolutely love your blog, your style, your humor, and writing style and what amazing mom you are!

But I have to say return both! I had love the bowtied boots as well and I think we have similar tastes and they just felt too industrial to me. I picture you in something more feminine. The coat seems to be a pain and fashion is supposed to be fun. However, that been said you do look great in them!

I don't think you'll regret returning either because Anthro always has something better around the corner. HTH! Love the blog!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenni said...

I personally love them both on you...I'd keep the boots...if the ruffles on the neck bug you too bad I'd return it, but I think it looks so cute on you! If it were me, I'd keep it probably and deal.

Cindi said...

The reason why I didn't bother buying those boots is because I do like a much sleeker look rather than something that looked "industrial" like bows and bees said. But then some people like that look. If it's STILL bothering you, I'd say return it.

As for the Clinton Trench, the collar don't bother me at all. I think it's rather cute to just let it fall wherever it wants to and I doubt others notice it. I believe steaming it would help though. I do have a question about the navy...do you think lint gets on it easily? I'd hate to have every little lint or hair show due to the color being darker. Thanks!

SRP said...

annoyed. I just posted a long comment and blogger ate it. Anyway, I think the rugged/industrial-ness of the boots help to balance the sugar sweetness of a lot of anthro pieces. They do have bows afterall, how rugged can they possibly be?

As for the jacket, I love it! who cares about the collar, I think it looks better not so stiff and victorian but more relaxed and floppy.

If you don't love the boots - you have had them a couple weeks, right? maybe time to return them and pick up another pair, there are so many cute ones on the website, try another pair!

vintageglam1234 said...

Hello Jan!
Greetings from Sydney, Australia
I found you via Simply Cindi, she mentioned you got the Clinton Trench in the navy.
I LOVE it on you! esp with the boots! i think it's the perfect transeasonal trench. Im in love now, and REALLY reaching for the credit card....
Cheers
Jen
Vintageglammz.blogspot.com

Lizzy said...

The trench looks great! You are a true petite and clothing in a petite size fit you really well.

Return the boots. When in doubt--return!

Jan Russell said...

Jen & Bows and Bees - thanks for saying hi and weighing in!

Jessica - I haven't worn the boots either, other then to try them on...besides my committment issues it's been too hot for boots. Still.

Jenni - I'm tempted! But I feel like for the price I should 100% love them to keep them.

Cindi - I wish I could give a helpful opinion. I hadn't even considered lint, and I've not worn the coat other then to quick try it on...

Spiffy - I have had them a couple weeks, and that's what worries me...I shouldn't still be waffling on the darned things! Truth be told, I probably don't even need to try other pairs - I have plenty of boots. It was just the bows. Oh the bows.

Pamela said...

If you are still thinking about the boots, return them. If they were a keeper you wouldn't think twice about them. As others have said, anthro always has something cute they put out so you will probably find something just as good, if not better that you will not think twice about wearing.

I love the coat. I love the collar. Let it be, let it fall where it may, it looks wonderful on you!!!!!! Oh my, i really want it even more now.

triciathomas said...

I believe you look great in both, that being said I think if you are sitting on the edge about whether or not to return them. You probably don't want them that bad. I think sleep on it for a few days and then decide, listen to what you want! I think you look great in everything!

Anonymous said...

Return the boots. I love them too (in theory) but in reality they're not worth it.

But the coat! Oh I love it!

I must say I envy your height for anthro; I can't ever find a dress or skirt that goes past mid-thigh on me!

Leader Girl said...

I would return the boots. I agree that they are beautiful "in theory." IRL I think they just overwhelm your legs. My biggest issue with the boots is that the one side of the bow sticks out. I think they would look more streamlined with both sides of the bow flat against the boot.

The trench really look lovely on you. The color is perfect. It is more a matter of how much the collar bugs you. It is kind of like an itchy sweater. It may look absolutely wonderful, but if it itches, it will drive you crazy!!

Love your blog. I have 3 boys and I am always finding myself trying to be extra girly to balance the household!!

Sarah said...

I personally am not a huge fan of the boots. I prefer a sleeker silhouette and a more classic style. For the price that you're paying for those boots, you really should LOVE them and not just like them.

Unknown said...

I would return the boots, but will you be able to once you've worn them on the concrete?

Anonymous said...

I think the boots should go back. Especially with the trench. I feel like it overwhelms you. It looks like you've been swallowed up by fashion. :) And personally, I don't get the hype about the boots. I prefer a much simpler boot as I think it's more versatile. Have you tried Steve Madden's Entyce? I think you'd love them!

Gemma said...

Jan, I love the trench on you!!! Does the collar really need adjusting every so often? The boots I love too, but if you're not sure...there are no other boots tempting you instead? I think they both look fine on you. Didn't help, did I?

BTW, were you interested in the Lost Time skirt in a 0P? I am planning on returning it, it's a bit snug. If you want me to put it on hold for you, email me gem1.mommy@gmail.com and I'll let you know what store I'm returning it. I bought it at the crazy full price, but you should get the sale price once I return it.

Rebecca said...

I'm with the commenters who said return the boots. I've had to create a new rule for myself: if I am not willing to wear an item out of the store and to a party/work/etc then I shouldn't be buying it. If I'm possessed when I buy it and it sits in my closet unworn for more than 2 weeks, it needs to go back. Just return the boots. You'll always be annoyed wearing them b/c you'll feel like they look funny.

On the other hand, I love the trench so much that I'm going to wish list it. I'm 4'11" so very petite, too, and I've got to say it's really hard finding cute petite things that aren't "basics." The collar looks totally fine to me. If you're really wigged by it, then (as above says) return, but I think you can get over the collar enough to feel groovy in that rockin' trench!

vintageglam1234 said...

Hey Jan
Just a question - is the clinton trench you have on a regular or Petite?
Thanks!
Jen

Jamie - Thrifty Threads said...

Hmm...from these pictures, both look absolutely adorable on you. But I can see the extra room in the boots around the ankle. If it bothers you now, there is a good chance that it will keep bothering you, so I think I would personally exchange them for a different style. Since you have had them for a few days, I think you would know by now if they were really meant to be. As for the trench...I do love the floppiness of the collar, but I wonder if it would be difficult to wear with one's hair NOT in a ponytail. Maybe think about the Clinton trench for a few more days and see what you think?

Jan Russell said...

Thanks to all for weighing in with their opinions - I think the boots are going to go, and the coat is going to stay...I'm going to try it on again, but we may head out on vacation in January, and a light jacket like this would probably be perfect.

Jen - the jacket is a size zero petite. It fits perfectly, so perfectly in fact that now I'm wondering if I should try the 2P as well just to have a little extra room...

Gemma - that is so tempting. I'm guessing if the skirt was snug on you though, that I won't be able to breath in it, lol.

Tifani said...

Now I'm going to confuse you. Remember how I felt like the lone naysayer on the boots before? Well I adore them with this outfit. That's not to say that another cute tall brown boot wouldn't work, but you really sold me on the boot in this outfit.

And, like Michelle, I envy your size for Anthro. I'm average height, but with the torso of a six foot woman. So many cute dresses just don't work for me.

jenny said...

I am probably the minority bc I do not care for the boots at all...not just on you but on anyone! For that price I would go with something classic like a frye boot. But bows aren't my thing and I know every blogger has had a fit over these boots :)! The jacket looks GREAT on you but again, for the price if it gets on your nerves maybe you should return for one that is more comfortable??? As a fellow mom, I want to be fashionable and comfortable, so go with your gut on the jacket! Again though, it is beautiful on!

Erin said...

Jan, the trench is PER-FEC-TION on you!! It's definitely a keeper, I think! Ohmygosh, now I want one! The boots are darling on you, too, but if you are having reservations about them, I think returning is the way to go. The whole outfit is super cute on you!

Kristin said...

Both items look beautiful in the pictures; however, if you don't feel the love while wearing them then you should return both. You can find boots and a jacket that you just love to wear, feel great wearing, and don't require you to fluff every five minutes. It's disappointing when something doesn't work out, but that usually means that something better is out there!

My rule is if I have to talk myself into keeping something that means it really needs to go back.

Jess said...

First off you look ADORABLE in both .... but for the price I would for sure take the boots back ... I don't think it will haunt you, as someone said, Anthro always has something better around the corner! I really like the coat on you, I would totally keep it unless it would drive you nuts, then return it!

greatbleuheron said...

I'm late to this party, but I completely agree with your decision to keep the coat and return the boots. You look adorable in everything I've ever seen you wear, and the coat adds to that. It enhances YOU. But the boots make me think, "What UP with them BOOTS?" They're just so . . . THERE. Overwhelming and distracting. I think you've made a good call!

Beth

Inkmark said...

I just return those boots myself. The bow stick out too much and it is too wide on the calves. The clinton looks wonderful however, I think i will exchange mine for the navy version

LC said...

How did I not discover your blog until today? : ) Anyway, thanks for the boot pics, I've been tempted to buy those but I also thought the bows stuck out too much. I think I'll wait for sale, maybe you'll like them more then too? The trench looks GREAT, keep it!

Lori said...

I love the trench on you, but I would return the boots. It always annoys me when boots do the buckling at the ankles. I'm actually pretty surprised they're doing that. Is the leather not very stiff? I think a slimmer boot cut would be more flattering...

Anjali said...

To me, the boots don't look bad at all, but you shouldn't keep anything you're not happy or comfortable in! However, I absolutely refuse to let you return that trench, because you look STELLAR in it! :)

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

Uh, how did I miss this post and you looking so dang fine in the Clinton Trench?!!?!?! Argh, I kind of all sorts of want it now!!!!