Wednesday, March 24, 2010

What's the Skinny?

I have some reviews! But first, my scale broke last week. I thought it just needed a new battery, but it turns out it went kaput. Unfortunately, my new scale is inclined to tell me that I am four pounds heavier then I thought I was. I liked my old scale better!!!

Whichever number is accurate, Banana Republic's Ultimate Skinny Dark Wash Jeans are making me feel like I weigh what I supposedly did just days ago. I LOVE these jeans so much, they are the pair I hunted down during the Give & Get promo last week. The material is lightweight, and the petite length, as you can see, is absolutely perfect for me! I would say if you are even a couple of inches taller you could get away with these in the regular length. Another thing I love about them is that there is no whiskering on the thighs. My thighs are my trouble spot, and I think whiskered denim calls extra attention to them. I highly recommend!
Last week I also placed an order for some Lands End Canvas items. This is their newer line that is supposed to offer a more modern fit.

Here is the Bow Tie Shirt in Silver Frost, size 0. I think this fits well, a little long and slightly see through, but overall a winner for me.
I'm wearing it with the size 0 Poplin Skirt. A few bloggers have mentioned these skirts are a good substitute for the hard to find Thousand Days Skirts from Anthro. The waist on this is a bit big, I could pinch a good inch or two on the side. Also, I'm not sure it's flattering on my figure? Maybe too long? Maybe too poofy? Something just seems a little off? Or maybe I'm not used to such a full skirt? Not sure, but I want these skirts to work because they would be great basics and pair with tons of tops I already own...honest feedback welcome!

Also, the Heritage Cardigan in Coral Blush was a success for me. The fit is great and the $39.50 pricetag is more attractive then the price of a J.Crew Jackie. I'm wearing this in an XXS. I'll be going back for more colors!

Another look at the Poplin Skirt, this time in navy. I really wanted this skirt to pair with my Ice Capped blouse since I've seen this combo on other bloggers and loved it! Again, I'm just not sure the skirt is working on my figure though.
And while the Heritage Cardigan was a hit, the Boyfriend V-neck Cardigan was a huge fail. Huge being the key word here. This is an XXS and look at the extra material in my arm. And like every single other boyfriend cardigan I've tried this year petite or otherwise, it was too long. Heavy sigh.

LOVE my new Bayside dress from Anthro though! $30? Hush!

8 comments:

Peggy said...

Those jeans look awesome! You done good on those! I want to check out the Land's End Canvas line now -thanks for the tip! Personally I just never like poplin skirts- they always seem too poofy. I love the cardi! Great color. I got a similar color at Target recently. I heart your Ice-Capped Anthro blouse!

Pamela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pamela said...

That BF cardigan was an XXS?!It looked HUGE on you! Definately weird sizing on that one!

I like the Bow Tie shirt alot. The skirts are cute, but they do seem a bit too poofy on you. I think your figure is waaaaaay too cute to be hidden by too much fabric. I think a more streamlined skirt with both your tops would look awesome on you. If you wanted to keep the LE skirts, maybe if you had a fitted top that was tucked into the skirt that would also help because then it would show off your little waist. It seems like the two tops you have pictured are flowy and with the flowy skirt it might be overwhelming. Just my two cents :)

And can I say those jeans look GREAT on you!!! And I love the Bayside dress! Isn't it comfy! It looks good on you.

Anonymous said...

I ordered exact skirt size 0 and had the same problem--too big. I think it's made for taller girls. I wanted to keep all the Canvas things, since its a cheaper alternative to jcrew. Glad to see it wasn't just me.

Jan Russell said...

Peggy - definitely check out the Canvas pieces, you can return them to any Sears so there is no real risk to give them a shot!

Pamela - thanks for the sweet words! I plan on wearing the bow blouse with skinny bottoms of some sort for sure, but I really had hope for the Ice Capped with the navy skirt. I know I need to return the skirts though, the more I look at the pictures the more obvious it is how un-flattering they really are! I'll have to try the Ice Capped with a more form fitted skirt next time. Maybe an a-line?

Pink Cupcake - make that two of us who are glad to know we weren't the only ones these didn't work for! Sorry you had the same fit issues!

Debye said...

I LOVE my banana republic skinny jeans too, they fit perfectly and don't stretch out too much!

I think the poplin skirts look great on you, try it with a tee tucked in and see if that helps since you are defining that teeny waist!

Lifeasahoosier said...

Hi Jan...those jeans look great on you! I happen to like canvas skirts and I think they look really good on you. I know they are poufy but I think that if you wear tight tops tucked in...like the climbing cowlneck...it accents the waist (and you have an awesome thin waist) and has a great vintage look to me. That's just my opinion though but I have a bias for that skinny waist...poufy bottom old school look! Adding a thick belt at the waist will make it look really good too.

SRP said...

so much cuteness in one post!