Thursday, June 10, 2010

Answers, Part I

Before I was a Boy Mom
I have never been career driven, ever since a very young age, I wanted to get married and have kids and be a full-time homemaker. I think this stemmed from being raised by a very hard working single mom. In my mind, I wanted the fairy tale two parent home, with a mom who baked cookies and a dad that considered me his princess. Since that wasn't going to happen, I reconciled to be the soccer mom myself and find a husband who would take care of me and treat me like his princess. EVERYONE tried talking sense into me - telling me I needed a degree, that I was too smart not to go to college, and that my desire for an old-fashion family was, well, completely old fashion.

Interestingly enough, I found myself dating the valedictorian of our class, who was headed off to an Ivy League school after graduation. With no proposal on the horizon, I had to do something, so I enrolled at a local private college and spent 3 semesters living on campus. I had a 3.8 GPA when I decided I'd had my fill of the college experience (I majored in English/Secondary Education with a minor in Sociology) and dropped out. I also broke up with my med-school bound boyfriend because sheesh, he wasn't going to be marriage ready for years -lol (no seriously, there were other things, too!) I got my own charming little apartment(which I loved decorating!), and a job at Merck Pharmaceutical doing clerical work. Working for such a power-house company at that time I was actually earning a salary that exceeded what I would have made as a new teacher. I worked in the same department for 5 years and quit when I had my first son.

I am happy to say that I did travel quite a bit, including to Europe, before having my kids, but it's something I wish I had done more of! I was also lucky enough to have a mom that took us to museums, Broadway shows and five star restaurants - none of which I get to indulge in raising three young boys and having no babysitters to speak of. It's a season ;) I have no regrets about not finishing college, and I never feel inferior or embarrassed about it. Hey! I was smart enough to marry a good guy, and they are hard to find!

Jonathan + Jan
My husband and I met at church. At the time I was very seriously dating someone else, and he was too - but I didn't know it! In fact, I kept thinking he was an attractive, well established, kind gentleman and who could I set him up with? His girlfriend at the time attended her own church and since that is the only place I saw Jonathan, I didn't even know he was involved. As it worked out, both our relationships ended and I started to think maybe I should be the one to date such a nice guy! So my girlfriend at church invited us to random things together - like watching the hockey game at her house, leading a game for the teen group, etc. Finally, Jonathan asked me out on a date, but I still had an obstacle to clear....our almost 12 year age difference! I've always been considered "mature" for my age, and I was living in my own apartment with a full-time job, so I didn't know if Jonathan had a clue that I was only 20 at the time, while he was in his 30's - gulp.

Also, many people were convinced that Jonathan would never marry. One woman told me so at a ladies retreat and that I was setting myself up to be heartbroken since he was too happily independent to wed. A few months later, she sang the solo at our wedding ceremony ;) We dated a year before he proposed, and were engaged for nine months. This January we will celebrate 10 years of marriage. I'd call it wedded bliss, but marriage is HARD. I know we'll be together forever, but we certainly have our peeks and valleys.

Think Pink!
Jonathan and I have always wanted 3 or 4 children. Right now we both feel pretty maxed out raising our boys, but neither of us are ready to close the door completely on a fourth child. I do feel a certain sadness that I might not experience raising a daughter - braiding hair, dolls, prom dresses...they all give me pangs. However, when I'm pregnant "worry" isn't my middle name, it's my first - and my pregnancy with Graham was full of scares - low HCG levels, a cervical polyp that caused lots of bleeding, a cyst on his brain that I was told could be a soft marker for Down Syndrome, my high blood pressure, exposure to Fifth's Disease, the cord around his neck during delivery AND the fact that I hemorrhaged afterwards. I'm not sure I can sign on for any of that again. It's something I pray about often, and right now I can say I don't have a peace either way - so the decision remains unclear.

You need to get a hobby!
Hmm...other interests...I love to read, but it goes in waves and I'm really picky about what I like. I mostly enjoy realistic fiction or memoirs - a recent favorite was The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls and an all-time favorite author for me is Kaye Gibbons (I'm not interested in Nicholas Sparks or Twilight but you can bet I loved the entire Shopaholic series) I also love my "celebrity rags" and subscribe to both People and Us Weekly. I watch almost no tv and I hate the movies. Going to movies, renting movies, previews for movies - just not my thing. When I do watch tv it's all reality shows, all found on 3 channels - HGTV, TLC and Bravo (Real Housewives are a guilty pleasure). I have a lot of fun hosting game nights - Taboo, Guesstures, Pictionary - I can get competitive! Obviously, I love to shop - but not just for myself! I adore buying clothes for my boys (especially layette!) and also buying for/decorating my house. Logistics prevent me from other things I enjoy - going out to eat, bike riding, working out, tennis, skiing, boating, actually relaxing on a vacation...but there will be time for those things again when my boys are older.

I don't work or work out
As mentioned above, I do not work out. I wish I did, because while I have gone back to my pre-pregnancy weight, trust me when I tell you that nothing is firm. I would love to tone up! My excuses for not exercising are as follows:
-No babysitter
-Paranoia about leaving my kids in the childcare room at the gym
-a baby who only lasts 15 minutes in the stroller when I take him on walks
-laziness
-I'm too tired

To keep my weight down, there is no secret to tell. I'm hungry! I try to eat as little as possible. It makes me cranky. It also makes me prone to using my calories on Starburst and potato chips instead of real meals. I am a very average weight for someone my height, and feel self conscious about my body, like most women do. In order to look good in the pictures I post, I take about 20 until I find an angle that flatters - lol.

Okay - that covers about half the questions that were asked, the others are more fashion oriented, so I will be back to answer those in another post! If you fell asleep reading this, wake up - shakes shoulders - its over!

17 comments:

greatbleuheron said...

Whoops! Being a new poster, I screwed it up. My comment on your previous post was meant for this one. Thanks again; I enjoy your blog.

Beth

Jenni said...

SO fun to learn more about you! Such a fun story about your husband and you...congrats on 10 years!!!

Meli said...

gosh- with the exception of motherhood, we have a ton of things in common! :)

Kristi said...

I feel like I knew most of that, but it was still oh-so fun to read.

You are just fun. I wish you lived closer. If nothing else maybe I could pick up on your no eating vibes. ;)

Love you to pieces!

Peggy said...

I love this post and feel like I've known you forever! We have very similar stories! I also dreamed of being a married SAHM but went to college and quit to marry my husband with only 16 hours left to complete for my Elemetary Education degree! I also married a guy 11 years older- and everyone said he would never marry either! Weird! It's great getting to know you better! Too bad my family just left the PA area, or we could have done lunch some day!!

Jessica said...

Fall asleep? No way, you are a great writer and so cute! I love the story of how you met your husband.

Sara-You, Me and Anthropologie said...

I love how you wrote this as a story and not just as a question followed by an answer :) It was like a really good book...I didn't want to stop reading and couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen next!

SRP said...

Thanks for sharing, it's so interesting to learn more about you- I would have never guessed your hubs was older and congrats on 10 years. You kind of have a story book life.. I know nothing is perfect, but you have a great family and that is #1
your boys are really lucky!

triciathomas said...

I loved reading that and getting to know you better!!! Sounds like such a wonderful life! I take like 20 pictures too! You can tell you love to decorate because your house is beautiful (from what I can see!) The glass castle is one of my all time favorite books!!! Thanks for being so open about your life!! I can't wait for the next one!

Gemma said...

Thanks for sharing your story! It was fun learning more about you. Other than our height, we seem to have a few things in common. Can't wait to read about the next part with fashion. If I was still in York, PA, I'd pick you up so we could shop! I miss going to the Philly Rittenhouse Anthro location!

Thanks again for sharing. You do have a wonderful life and family!

Pamela said...

Thanks for sharing that wonderful story! Congratulations on 10 years!! I think you have one of the hardest jobs in the world! It's certainly equivalent to a doctorate!! Bravo to you!!

Ashley Wilson said...

I love reading about you! I especially liked your love story- super sweet. I am happy for you that you are living your dream of being a stay at home mom. And I love that you meant your hubby at church (what a great start). Anyway, I am loving your writing style as always. Can't wait for part two!

Jan Russell said...

Beth - I'm so glad you decided to say hi! Thanks for your sweet words!

I wish we all lived in the same town so we could have lunch and then go shopping and you could all give me the scoop on YOU!

Debye said...

Love your answers, I still swear we were seperated at birth (except for the whole height thing)!

Lifeasahoosier said...

Jan...thanks so much for this post! It was so much fun to learn more about you. Your family is just beautiful! We have a lot in common...I met my husband at church (though he is only a few years older) and I have always wanted to be a stay at home mom and not a career woman. Though I am going to school now for nursing it's only because I want to work a day or two here and there for some adult interaction!

Thanks for all your honesty...you are awesome!! Great post!

Michelle Q said...

Thanks for sharing so much of yourself! This post was a great read. I really admire you for knowing exactly what you wanted and going out a GETTING it! It takes a strong woman to know themselves and what they want out of life. Go mama!

Being the mom of 2 boys, I get the "will you try for a girl?" question a lot too. It gets borderline annoying, doesn't it? Although, I do understand why people ask because I'm totally girly. :D

Congrats on 10 years of marriage!

Lizzy said...

I'm still jealous that you are so thin. I am only 4'11", but I don't think I ever been able to wear a size 0. Sometimes when I go shopping I just get depressed because of the sizes I have to buy--so I don't buy them. :)