Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Going to Great Lengths

Today I'm wearing my J. Crew 5" Chinos (center) and I have to say, I think I might be a short-shorts convert.

How about you? Are you a NO shorts, bermuda length, 7", 5" or confident in 3" kind of girl? I haven't had any luck at Old Navy or J.Crew finding the 7" in-store (maybe they are online only?), but the shorts I've recently had hemmed seem to fall around that length. I prefer the extra coverage when I'm going to be sitting in public. I'm pretty sure looking at these comparison pictures, that I'll never buy another pair of bermuda's again.
No matter what the inseam, I'm still not a shorts every day girl. Which is why I was so excited to receive my Banana Republic Busted Boyfriend Chinos in the mail today.
LOVE THEM! I could not believe how perfectly they fit when I tried them on, and you don't even notice the "destroyed" areas, it's very, very subtle. I am wearing th 00P for reference, so keep vanity-sizing in mind if you decide to order ;) Not bad at 40% off, either. I love all the promos Banana Republic has been offering lately!

15 comments:

Peggy said...

Chinos + Jan= Perfection!! They are great!

And I never wear shorts- it's not hot enough here really and I don't look good in the longer ones - I always choose a dress/skirt in summer. I don't even own a pair of shorts!

Sara said...

I agree that the shorter shorts look much better on you. I usually don't wear shorts (which is weird cause I live in Florida) but I am beginning to like them again. I am usually in skirts, dresses or capri's during the summer months.

Sara-You, Me and Anthropologie said...

I used to be a "no shorts" girl because I don't love my thighs, but then I realized that the capris/bermuda shorts I was wearing looked awful on me and that I looked much better in the shorts. So now I'm a 5" girl. I think the shorter shorts look great on you!

Lorraine said...

I honestly think that they all look good on you. Your new chinos are super cute! They do fit you perfectly. I'm not much of a shorts wearer. I mostly do capris or skirts in the summer. If I do wear shorts it has to be a bermuda.

www.lorislooks.blogspot.com

Jenni said...

Love those cute chinos...gotta love vanity sizing! =)

Carol said...

I think as petite, shorter women, we do better in shorter shorts. I mean, look at Chloe! She's about our size, and she's just amazing, rocking those shorts. Albeit, she's never borne children, but still...hahahaha. She inspires me. So, the Heatwave shorts, which are 3.5" long - those are good. And I also got a pair of Mossimo shorts at Target, which are quite nice as well. I obviously prefer skirts, etc, but every so often, will bust out shorts, because we should wear them while we can, right? =D

Petite Gorgeous said...

Such a beautiful white chino! Perfect for the summer.

I am giving away a J Crew bracelet at petitegorgeous.blogspot.com

Hope you will enter to win :).

SRP said...

I'm a short shorts girl, like 3-5 inch shorts. I wear running shorts all the time so I'm used to the shorter length and being short myself, the longer ones make me look like an elf. I do have a lot of spider veins that I'm super conscious of, but when it's hot, it's hot and I don't care!
Love those white chinos by the way, so cute and a great cut on you!

SRP said...

I'm a short shorts girl, like 3-5 inch shorts. I wear running shorts all the time so I'm used to the shorter length and being short myself, the longer ones make me look like an elf. I do have a lot of spider veins that I'm super conscious of, but when it's hot, it's hot and I don't care!
Love those white chinos by the way, so cute and a great cut on you!

Jessica said...

Those shorts look so good on you. I must admit that I rarely wear 'em but when I do it's bermudas for me!

laylablue said...

i'm so with you on the shorter shorts! i am barely 5ft.2in., and longer shorts look weird on me. i own 2 pair of gap favorite bermuda shorts (outlet, clearance $2.49) but they seem to make me look stumpy, and i have nice small ankles (thighs, ehhh/ankles good)

i have 2 or 3 pair of older old navy shorts with a 3 or 4 inch inseam, and when the waist/tummy fits these are my favorites (i always pack on pounds in fall/winter)

how about frye boots with short shorts? i've been considering that!

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

I'm with you - I usually run in the 3-5" range for every day shorts. For the office, I wore 9-11" bermudas but only with heels.

Still can't wait to see you in the Heatwave shorts!

Pamela said...

I prefer skirts to shorts but last summer I bought a 5" merona pair and loved them! This year, I bought two pair from jcrew and been grabbing those on warm weekends., I usually wear some type of wedge to give my legs more length though.

BR really has been offering great promos. Those pans look great on you!

Cat said...

It's kind of counterintuitive right? Short shorts are super flattering on you lady!

Jan Russell said...

Thanks girls - funny thing when my husband commented on them, too - he NEVER comments on clothes without my prompting nudges, lol - I have to remember to wear them on the days our cc statement arrives ;)

My boys have swim lessons all this week and next - which means every day I'm sitting in the hundred degree temps watching them, and holding a sticky baby, which is that much hotter...so yeah, I've made my peace with shorts!