Thursday, June 10, 2010

Answers Part II, Plus OOTD

My Biggest Beauty Secret Revealed...
So truthfully, I don't have any fast fixes for being fabulous. I'm not all that intuitive with putting colors together and I am really lame with hair. So my #1 secret is to COPY. Fashion Blogs, Polyvore, and magazines are all great sources of inspiration, and when I see something I like I try to figure out how I can recreate it. For example, my OOTD (Outfit of the Day), came from right here http://www.polyvore.com/wearing_2010/set?id=18510776 I am a really visual person, so seeing this color combination was like a light bulb going off and I immediately had an outfit ready to go! The same is true for hair and make-up. I have watched lots of YouTube tutorials and I can't tell you how much I've learned about contouring and curling. I am by no means an expert, but I now have some go-to routines that make getting ready quicker, because I am not fumbling around or spending time staring at my products and wondering how to use them. Whenever I can, I try to get ready before my husband leaves for work. When I can't do that, I put a video on for my four year old and the Johnny Jump-Up on the bathroom door for the baby and I hope they'll stay entertained long enough for me to look presentable.

J. Crew & J. Russell have Reconciled
I still think their clothing looks best on the tall lanky types, but recently I've been buying more tops and cardigans and find they work! Hooray! Joni, I believe the cardigan you are asking about is the Celosia in Warm Wheat I really like J. Crew for Mon-Fri and Anthro for church on Sunday. If I had a J. Crew closer to my home (the nearest one is close to an hour away) I know I'd buy more - their shipping charges make my heart bitter.

Wash & Repeat
I do follow care labels, but luckily my washer has a "hand wash" cycle and I am spared from any actual manual labor. I also confess that unless I spill something or sweat in a delicate item, I usually don't wash it at all. Gross, but true. I hang all of my clothing to dry, unless I am hoping for shrinkage. I really think this keeps clothes looking newer, longer.

Accessorized
I don't switch purses often. Currently, I have three leather Coach bags in rotation - a white satchel, an orange satchel and a Tattersall tote. This one is my favorite and it's surprisingly neutral.





And these are the most comfortable shoes I own - I could live in flip flops in the Summer and Clarks is pretty much synonomous with comfort!


Playing Favorites
Oooh, my top 3 purchases? Of all time? That is really hard. Too hard. I think I'll just say that my 3 favorite places to shop at the moment are Anthropologie, Banana Republic and J. Crew (see, we really did mend our ways!) and my favorite purchase of the year would have to be this dress, it makes my heart sing (loudly, and off key)

8 comments:

triciathomas said...

I have enjoyed reading all of these things about you!! You have great fashion sense even if you think it is borrowed!!! I am seriously in love with your wall color also and want to know what it is... Thanks for this post it's great! I love your outfit today!

Jan Russell said...

Thanks for your sweet words Tricia! My dining room is Sherwin Williams Jubilee. One shade lighter on the color card is Krypton and that is a gorgeous blue as well, my mom and two friends all have it in their houses.

Dea said...

So I totally missed it - you opening the floor for questions, but I was able to read everything and you are just the cutest. May I also add how amazing you are to be able to take care of the kids with such passion, energy, and love! I feel like whenever we have kids, the max is two, b/c I just don't know if I've energy (or love) for more than that!
Also, I'm wearing the cockadoodle dress today as well and when I saw it in your pics, it brought it a whole new life!
Thanks for sharing so much about you and the story of how you met your hubs was really cute and sweet, and way to go for knowing exactly what you wanted at a young age, even when others were trying to question it.

Jessica said...

You are too cute! Thanks for sharing more about you and your fabulous life! I need to get one of those Johnny Jim-Ups for my baby girl. Maybe it would make getting ready easier!

Anjali said...

Your style of writing is so sweet and this post totally made me smile! :)

I know what you mean about J.Crew vs. Anthro for certain things -- these days I use J.Crew to accessorize statement pieces (e.g. I buy everyday basics from them like solid cardigans, blouses, tanks, plain skirts, etc.) while all my special and statement pieces seem to actually come from Anthro (pretty dresses, printed skirts and blouses).

Oh, and I am also lazy about washing and don't wash my dresses and cardigans right away unless something is visibly (or olfactory?) dirty!

christensen crew said...

JAN! Oh my goodness...i just learned that you and your hubby are 12 years apart in age! Ha, me and husband are exactly 12 years apart! I am 28, and he is 40! I don't know if you are aware, but JFK and Jackie were also around 12 years apart. AND, Brad and Angelina are too! Just a little FYI to make it more acceptable and normal. I love being my husbands younger wife and only girl! I am the princess in the house forever! That's how i choose to see it! we have much in common!

Debbie said...

You're so cute! I love your style. :-)

P.S. I'm a new follower of your blog.

Michelle Q said...

I have those Clarks flip-flops! Got them at Garnet Hill for a steal. SO comfy! :P

Thanks for this post - I've really enjoyed reading about you and learning about where your fashion comes from!