Monday, June 21, 2010

Snootie & Cutie Patootie

My husband took my two oldest on a church sponsered camp-out over the weekend. While the big boys were off in the wilderness, Graham and I set out for the mall. And not our mall, but the other mall that is 45 minutes from my home and has much better stores. I don't usually brave the trek with all three, or have enough time to run there during my preschool window, so this was a great opportunity! I was most excited to stop at J. Crew and try out their shorts. Unfortunatly, they didn't have my size in the cute gingham checks, but I decided to try the size up. I also grabbed some 5" chinos and a few cute tops.

Beware! RANTING AHEAD!!! I took my selections into the back fitting room, and while there were other women trying things on in there I didn't see an employee to unlock the door. I left the stroller with Graham while I poked my head out to see if she/he were nearby. The sales person caught my eye and beckoned me to the fitting room at the front of the store. So I popped back in to get the baby and no sooner was the guy behind me telling me "You can't use this fitting room. It's closed. You need to come up front" Obviously, it's not what he said, but the way he said it - he sounded so annoyed. Okay great, I have no problem coming up front, except, I DO need to bring my child with me, you ding dong!

So in I go up front, and I didn't have good luck with the gingham - they were literally falling off. The chinos were okay, especially with a belt, and the fact that they were roomy in the waist allowed them to sit low on my hips and long enough to not feel scandalous in.

Online there was a promo for 20% off all shorts, when I asked a different sales girl whether this was the case in-store as well, I was told no. So I decided to just buy the one pair of shorts in pale blush because I hadn't noticed the color online, along with a cutie patootie blouse I had never noticed online either, a sale belt, and a great pair of boyfriend chinos. In the fitting room "return to sales floor rack/cart" I left behind the other 4 pairs of shorts (two of them being too big (gingham), and the other two with the intention of buying online with the 20% off) I also hung up 3 tops that were too big (J.Crew sizing is redunkulous).

All this to say, that I bought about 1/3 of what I brought into the fitting room with me but when I walked to the register I saw the girl fitting room attendant making a face and talking to the other employee saying "she's not getting any of this?" in the snootiest-patootiest sort of way. I felt so embarassed. It was really uncomfortable, and made me want to plop my other purchases down and walk out. It wasn't as if I had left the merchandise strewn all throughout my room, unhung, inside out or on the floor. I put it back to the return area at the front of the fitting room and clearly someone is stationed there with the JOB of returning those things out to the sales floor. I know this sounds petty, but it really turned me off. Boo for rude sales associates! The overall vibe at my (not-so) local store is not friendly :(

And it turns out this blouse IS on the website, I just hadn't noticed it before. It has a side zip which isn't my favorite and it does make the top tuck in funny...but I love the neckline detail so much! I'd actually buy this in a second color! But only online, since I don't want to go back to the store any time soon and be treated like an inconvenience (if I could insert a sticking-out the tongue smiley here, I would!)


ootd 5-21

Fashion Trends & Styles - Polyvore





ootd 5-21 by JanRussell featuring J Crew

This is another pair of bermuda shorts from Old Navy that I recently had hemmed. I'm so happy with the length that I took 3 more pairs in yesterday for the same chop-job!

I've already been to a dr.'s appointment this morning, and now we're off to our first swim lesson of the summer!

Gotta keep 'em busy!

17 comments:

Katie said...

I could have written those comments about my own local J.Crews (any of the three). Each time I get so much attitude it is just silly. It's just clothes, people. We have to take an arm load of clothes into the fitting rooms because the sizing is crazy. An XS is not an XS from one piece to the next. I am really sorry you were treated that way! I really like the top you picked up, though, it will transition into fall really well too!

Gemma said...

That stinks! I can't believe some workers would even say anything in earshot of a customer. But yeah, that is their job to put the clothes back so I don't understand the complaining. And if it doesn't fit, what are you supposed to do about that? Sorry for your bad shopping experience, but you did come away with a cute top!

Jessica said...

Sorry for your bad experience! You should have spoken to the store manager, that is unacceptable! I love the top you got, it looks so cute on you.

Jen | Our Life Accounts said...

I got this service today at anthro of all places! The manager had the nerve to suggest that I should come in store and try things on and not buy online and return what I don't like/need. She made real snippy comments on how I had returned nearly everything on what receipt! I couldn't believe all the attitude she was giving me. I spend more money at that store than anywhere else, I was so turned off by her attitude that I placed all the items right down on the counter that I was going to buy instead at the store and left. And promptly went home and purchased the items online! I don't need attitude from sales associates who are being paid to do their JOB.

SRP said...

hmm I'm sorry :(
I think people like that are just miserable with their lives and probably not happy in general. Don't let her get you down.. maybe she just hung up 100 items from another fitting room and the manager told her she had to work an hour longer than expected.. who knows, but the bottom line is that you did nothing wrong, so don't be embarrassed!

I really love the color of the top, great buy!

Pamela said...

I can't believe the rude service! Oh wait, maybe I can, because the one J.Crew I hate going into is the exact same way. I know how you feel-wanting to leave everything and just walk out. I've learned to just become more vocal and call people on the carpet at that particular store-one time I when I was checking out when the SA asked if someone was helping me I said, "no they were too busy talking to each other". You should have seen the look on her face. I didn't even care. I figured I'm the one spending money in there. The least they could have done was stopped their gossip session amongst the THREE of them and ask if I needed help.

I like Mrs. Life Accounts reaction by leaving her things at the counter and ordering online. I would definately drop a handwritten not to that store manager or call and just say how disappointed you were shopping there.

Thankfully, the J.Crew I usually frequent has great SA that are there to help no matter what and don't care if you leave things in the room, as they are quick to say, "oh leave it, I'll get it for you".

On a positive note-GREAT outfit. The hem on the shorts is the perfect length and that top is such a pretty color on you.

Ashley Wilson said...

Oh my gosh, I was so annoyed with JCrew after reading this. I can totally understand why you were tempted to leave all of the things you were about to buy. I was at H&M recently buying sunglasses. I was trying a pair on and there weren't mirrors. So my hubby snapped a pic with his iphone. The SA came and chewed him out about it. Poor guy! It put him in a bad mood for awhile. I did buy the glasses, but I kinda wish I hadn't because she was that rude. Anyway, I'm sorry about your bad experience! But you do look adorable today! And I am loving your new yellow shoes- soooo cute!

Lorraine said...

That's awful! How terrible of them to make you feel that way. I seriously don't understand why people have to be so rude. I've been encountering quite a few rude people lately and it's starting to make me wonder what the heck is going on. What happened to common courtesy? Well your outfit today is darling and you look fabulous.

www.lorislooks.blogspot.com

Sparkles said...

Did you say you hung everything up AND returned them to the fitting room rack AND you had your little one with you? Excuse me while I let out a loud sigh. After my third child I became rather nonchalant about letting people who work in retail stores WORK. I just flat out didn't have the time or energy to fool around. I would say things like: where can I find this? Do you have that? That's not what I'm looking for. Politely. Sometimes I have to say: I do not work in your store. I am not familiar with your procedure or your stock. Is it not your policy to accept returns according your guidelines? Where is your manager? The onus is on them to provide me with what I want and I want it done nicely. You should definitely call the manager and register your displeasure. There are plenty of people who can do that SA's job better than she can. You teach people how to treat you and that SA needs to be taught a lesson herself. And I don't think people like her are generally miserable, I just think they have been allowed to get away with being RUDE. Think about it - they didn't even care if you heard them saying that. Makes me so mad! BTW you look completely adorable in that outfit!

Jan Russell said...

Katie - I'm sorry to hear you have had similar experiences :( I can't wait to try the top with a navy or brown cardigan for fall!

Mrs. Life Accounts - it really sours the shopping experience when you are treated like a pain in the neck. I would be extra disappointed to have that happen at my favorite store - sorry!

Spiffy - I'd love to give her the benefit of the doubt, but it was only 1/2 hour after they opened! Maybe she woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I worked at Gap in HS/College and I get that it's not fun....but at least talk about the customer AFTER they've left or quietly enough so they don't hear you! Oh well, you're right it's silly to let it bother me.

Pamela - I love your spunk! That is awesome that you spoke up!

Ashley - oh no, poor dh! Men are already so leary to go shopping, being yelled at by the SA can't help things!

Gemma/Jessica/Lorraine - thanks girls for making me feel better! I know it's a VERY SMALL thing to be ranting about. I am going to lock it up and throw away the key now, but it felt good to vent it out ;)

Jan Russell said...

Sparkles - I must have been posting at the same time as you were commenting. You know, it DOES fire me up, because I feel that I go out of my way to be courteous and friendly when I shop, and the experience at J.Crew just made me feel...so unwelcome and bothersome. I am always leary of complaining, but sometimes I wish I did feel secure enough to express the fact that I was disappointed in my service.

Penny Prepster said...

Those shorts are now the perfect length! You look great!

Sara said...

Okay, first up, I have to say you look adorable. I love your new top and now I'm off to copy, copy, copy!

Second of all, I just want to tell you how sorry I am that you were made to feel embarrassed during your shopping experience. There are two J.Crew stores in my area and at one, the SA's are SO nice! It's amazing how helpful they are, they remember me and talk to my kids, they go out of their way to wait on me, the customer, and to make sure I have a good experience there. And they totally have my loyalty forever. They've NEVER given any returns a second look...etc. At the other store, not so much. It's not that they're downright rude (like the ones you encountered) but there is a huge difference in the way I'm treated at each store so guess which one I go to? Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I really appreciate and value a store that treats me right and I will shop with them forever. It's too bad more stores/sales associates don't realize that. Those employees give J.Crew a bad name! I'm sorry you were treated so poorly!

Cat said...

What is happening with CS these days? I just had a TERRIBLE experience with some SA's at J.Crew. Not cool. I don't shop there very much, but I'm really hesitant to go back EVER. This coming from someone who worked there for four years. Sorry you had a bad experience, but at least you came out with a cute outfit ;)

triciathomas said...

I have had experiences like that at Anthro, Nordy's and J-Crew. It annoys me when they act like doing the job they are paid for is so inconvenient!!!! I am sorry! I usually just order online because I also hate the "you brought three kids where?" look I frequently get!!! I am sorry, you are the nicest person ever and should not be treated like that!

Debye said...

Wowza, that is terrible. I agree with Pam that you should write the manager a note or even call in. I can't imagine treating a customer that way!

On a lighter note, you look adorable!!!

Peggy said...

I don't know how I missed your post - I am a faithful reader! It's the same way at my Jcrew - always! But at Anthro, they treat me like a queen!