Sunday, June 13, 2010

Short Stories on Sunday

I've recently come to the conclusion that as wrong as they might sound on a 31 year old mom, short-shorts are in fact more flattering then bermudas or capris when said mom is a midget. It's hard for me to embrace my legs, but the fact that I will be sitting outside in 100 degree temperatures for two weeks straight while my boys take swim lessons, well that drives me to the mall to find some shorts I won't melt in.

Unfortunately, The Loft, where I used to buy probably 75% of my pants has fallen so far off the vanity-sizing deep end, that I can no longer wear much of anything from their store :( I am genuinely frustrated by this, since The Loft is pretty much a go-to store for my demographic.

Size 0 - roll eyes.
I think I'll check out Old Navy on Monday and hope for better luck. In the meantime, here is a leggy OOTD for church. I would like to state for the record that when my hands are at my sides, this dress does fall below my fingertips ;)
Elevenses Dress via Ebay
Nordstrom BP Stella Sandal
Merona Essential Cardigan

14 comments:

Michelle Q said...

I'm so there with you! I wear short shorts - at 5'2", the longer shorts make me look stubby. I've learned to embrace my lower half (it's my mid-section and bust/arms that I hate), so shorts are my go-to on weekends.

You have GREAT legs! Show them off mama!

BTW, my fav shorts are the 3" or 5" chinos at J Crew. Maybe try Lands End Canvas?

Dea said...

Jan, you look so lovely and I really like this outfit! The dress is the perfect length for you and definitely well-matched with the sandals.

I hear you on the shorts- sometimes long shorts, though conservative, can really be unflattering in the heat when all you want is to air out! I just placed an order with ON on some cutoff jean shorts. I'll let you know how they turn out!

Tifani said...

Try the Old Navy perfect shorts. I like them in the 5" length for me, but you could go with the shorter length for sure. I will admit to you that I own every color they make in my size and I wear a pair almost every day!

Totally unrelated, but I bought myself a Heritage Collection sailor tee from the Lands End girls section. It is perfection and I think a total must have for you. The XL is a little roomy on me, so keep that in mind. I wear it with my white ON perfect shorts and a yellow polka dot headband.

Tifani said...

Forgot to say that I have the navy with white stripes. It is lovely.

Gemma said...

Hey Jan, the last time I was in GA, I went to H&M and found some shorts that are pretty great for our size. They are only $13 and some even "dressier" short shorts for $20. I was surprised to fit in a 0 because usually I have to size up to a 4 or something over there.

But if you're kind of near an H&M check it out.
Love your dress!

triciathomas said...

Jan I love that OOTD!!! I was starting to wonder how each time I went to the Loft I dropped a size and now I find out it was not my rapid weight loss!!! Good luck on the short hunt!

Katie said...

I totally hear you about Loft and the sizing, it is just plain silly. I can wear a 0 there and I am no 0. I ended up buying the Summer Choice Shorts from Anthropologie (that just went on sale recently, hmp). They were shorter than the bermudas but still a modest length for this 31 year old mom! :)

SRP said...

so we are on the same wavelength today, huh?
I am thankful I have some junk in the trunk so I'm not completely sized out of their clothes, but when a store makes xxs petite- something is wrong.
I feel the same way about jcrew. I tried on a tank yesterday in an xs and it was huge. vanity sizing has gone too far.

Lorraine said...

I love your blog. I've been reading it for a couple of months now and I can't wait to see what you wear everyday. I too am I mom of boys and love fashion and so I like to see what you wear to tackle day to day living with little boys. You always look amazing and so put together. I wish I could say the same for myself.

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

Fabulous church outfit!

I'm with you on the shorts - I only ever wore bermudas (with heels!) when I wanted an office-appropriate short. Now I am loving the 3-5" inseams. I agree with Michelle Q - maybe try J Crew?

Jessica said...

That dress is darling and I want your shoes! I hope you have better luck at Old Navy.

Debye said...

Love your OOTD, I have to go check out those sandals!

As an FYI, the LOFT has special sizes that are online only like the size 00 that may work better for ya!

Anonymous said...

Yep, I am a 4 sometimes at LOFT and believe me, I am no 4!

Jan Russell said...

Tifani - that is such a cute top! I'm going to keep an eye out for it next time I'm in Sears. I have something similar from H&M and I love the nautical style!

Thanks for the suggestions on where to look for shorts!

I made it to ON today and theirs were a no-go :( I have my eye on some at J.Crew - fingers crossed!