Thursday, May 27, 2010

In Today's Mail - Circle the Globe Skirt & New Shoes

I have learned my lesson with full, poplin skirts. I will not Circle the Globe to find another one, rather I'll hope for this gorgeous teal to reappear on an
A-line.

And oh the teal! SO pretty! I love the color. I also really love the waistband on this skirt. The stitching detail, the comfy elastic and the width were all perfection (eta - I am wearing the size 0) Straight out of the box though it lost major points for wrinkles. Sure, I could iron this piece, but that defeats some of the purpose of an "easy" Summer skirt IMO. Still, the material I could deal with.
The obstacle I could not overcome with this skirt was it's volume. Look right above my left hand to see the "poof" factor happening in the back. I felt like Miss Muffet.I really wish the skirt had fit like this....
here's what was going on around back, to acheive the look I hoped for.
It pains me to see how cute this full style skirt looks on others. Color me teal green with envy for anyone who can make this one work.

In unrelated news, my Nordstrom order also arrived today. I listened to the sound advice and kept on keeping on until I found just the right pair for me. The BP Stella's are exactly what I wanted. The reviews are not exaggerating though when they say the soles of these shoes are slippery. I almost wiped out on my kitchen floor when I tried them on. I will majorly scuff them up on the driveway before I make any attempt to wear them in public.
Finally Bought Black SandalsFashion Trends & Styles - Polyvore


And you all know how it goes, since I was placing an order anyway...I went ahead and grabbed these cute flip flops. They are very wide in the heel and I'll need to buy inserts for them, but they are so cute I put them on and wore them immediately.

brown sandalsFashion Trends & Styles - Polyvore

I think the pair next to them is different enough in color and style to pick up next time. And with cute shoes, there is always a next time ;)

14 comments:

Kim said...

Jan - you should try sizing down in the Circle the Globe Skirt. I'm normally a 2 in skirts, but i bought a 0 and it fits perfect with no extra pouf. Not sure what size you're wearing, but give the next size down a shot!
It's too pretty to pass up!

Jan Russell said...

Hey Kim - I wish I could try that, but this is the size 0! I just saw you wearing it with the peeking lace blazer - SWOON - what a great outfit! Did I mention how jealous I am - cause I am!

Randi said...

HI! I came across your blog a few weeks ago, and as a mom to three small ones who also finds her sanity in shopping/fashion, I have been following you since then! Anyway, the volume is exactly why I could not go with the Circle the Globe skirt! I wanted to love it but did not leave the store with it. I must say that it does not seem as 'pouffy' on adorable you!

Jan Russell said...

Thanks for saying hi, Randi! We should throw ourselves a pity party for this skirt - the poof was really deflating, wasn't it? My silver lining is that I'm going to try to get to the store with my returns over the long weekend - I'm sure I'll find something to ease the pain ;)

triciathomas said...

I love that skirt! I kinda like the poof... but if that's not what you wanted then. Return! Cute shoes from Nordy's can't wait to see you wearing them!

Kim said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry you can't size down :-( What size are you typically in skirts @ Anthro.
For what it's worth, I think it probably looks just as poufy on me, no?
I like it on you! If you love it, you could always take it to a tailor and have them bring it in on the sides probably.

Carol said...

Jan - I thought you looked great in the skirt - though I suppose if it's not what you were hoping for, that another $68 freed up to go towards something else.

Those shoes are darling - do you have a good shoe guy nearby? Kelly (at Nordstrom) directed me to the shoe guy their shoe departments use, and it's been eye-opening. He put rubber soles on the bottoms of my Donald Pliner boots to 1) protect them to increase the lifespan of the shoes and 2) make them less slippery. They're awesome! You should see if you can find someone good in your town, or ask your Nordy's shoe folk who they can refer you to.

SRP said...

think you articulated exactly what I was feeling regarding that banana skirt I bought. full skirts just don't like short girls. I haven't tried the globe skirt yet but I anticipate it giving me more junk-in-the-trunk than I need (or already have!)
I LOVE those sandals. I'm planning a trip to nordies to kick off the holiday weekend. ha.

Jan Russell said...

Kim - all my Anthro skirts are 0's. I'm just going to hope for this teal to reappear on something cut more like the Alena skirt, in the future. I wonder if the Circle the World Skirts are nice and steamed in-store, because I didn't think it looked as poofy on you at all - could be your height though, too!

Spiffy - I'll be curious to see how you like it in-store, I think you and Carol are both 5'2 and it looked absolutely adorable on her!

Carol - nope, I have to order from Nordstrom online and my closest mall is pretty bottom of the barrel, sadly. But I will look for some grippers when I'm buying the insoles - that is a great idea!

Tricia - exactly, I'm going to take the money and run! I know there are plenty of other Anthro pieces I will love instead :)

Pamela said...

That is so disappointing! The color is so beautiful.

I have some shoes with the uber slippery bottoms and I buy the no slip sticky things to put on the bottom-you can get them at target in the shoe area where they have shoe polish, laces, etc. I love both pairs you got!

Gemma said...

I don't think it looks bad at all. Maybe it could use a good iron to flatten it down. It is too bad, since the color is gorgeous. I'm also supposing though it won't look good on me either. Boo! You'll find something else, I'm sure.

Have fun venturing out to the store this weekend. We're taking a trip to Anthro this coming Tuesday-Thursday. Well, not just Anthro, I should say Atlanta.

Love both the sandals!

Cat said...

Sorry, this skirt didn't work for you out of the box. I do appreciation the humor in this post. I think the culprit behind pouf is the gathering a the waistband. There definitely *a lot* of fabric happening right there.

Cat said...

Oops...that's "appreciate" ;)

Debye said...

I guess to much poof can swallow you up when you are so petite. For what it is worth, I still think you look adorable in it!

Also as a quick FYI, everything in the store at LOFT is 40% off right now (yep, everything). I bet you can cure some shopping woes ;)