Sunday, April 18, 2010

Brought to you by the letters G, P & S

A little FYI - I am the wimpiest, scardiest driver. I don't drive on highways. I don't venture more then oh... 15 miles from my home. But today, after church, I went on an adventure. All by myself. And I paid a toll (this was only the third time I've driven through a toll booth, and the first two times I was following someone) So thank you, GPS, for making my roadtrip possible. Wow, is that thing handy! I know many more visits to Anthro will be in my future now that I have this device to guide me!

I went with the purpose of returning the Wright Dress. But of course, I was also eager to check out everything in the store. Highest on my list of things to try on was this jacket...

Vala Jacket
Not only was it my first time using the GPS, but it was also my first attempt with the camera phone. Not as successful. As you can clearly see.

Anywho, the Vala jacket buttoned easily, had a great shrunken shape and sleeves that were not too long. In the "minus" column, was the way this jacket totally flared out on the sides. I wanted to love this piece but felt it made me look really wide. While I was trying it on, the fitting room attendant asked if I was doing okay, and I actually asked her opinion, too. She flat out said it did not look right. We pinched the fabric back and tsked over what a shame it was that there was so much excess material at the hips. I tried and rejected this in a size 0.

Next up was the Coulis Cardigan - which I didn't remember seeing online, but the cute button detail and relaxed style caught my eye. This looked like an "easy to throw on with jeans" piece on the rack.

Coulis Cardigan
I can not for the life of me understand the five star rating this one has on Anthro's website. I have one word for this sweater. Dowdy. Honestly, I felt like a cow in this, and couldn't get it off fast enough.

The next two pieces were ones I've seen and liked on other bloggers. The Climbing Cowlneck is a major hit with seemingly everyone.

Climbing Cowlneck
Pulsations Skirt

Everyone, except me. I tried the navy in XS and could not keep it up on my shoulders. It actually drooped off of both sides IRL, but I pulled one sleeve back up for the photo. It was just too wide on my frame. Also, the armholes made me uncomfortable, they didn't expose anything, but they felt too big, just the same??? I'm laughing at myself in this disaster.

The Pulsations Skirt, I'm undecided on. Help! I wish it were a couple of inches shorter. But I LOVE the print. I think this skirt is playful (circus!) and adorable, with bare legs and sandals I could see myself wearing this throughout the Summer months. What do you think? Does it lose it's "fun" appeal because of length on me? This is a size 0. I want it. Unless you all convince me otherwise.

Millefeuille Tank
The award for worst picture of the (very bad!) bunch is next, but I wanted to post the Millefeuille Tank to show the length of the XS. Too long. This cute top was down to to the middle of my thighs. It's a great layering piece, for anyone taller then 5ft!

Midnight Roses Top
Finally, some good news from the fitting room! I loved this top, and was tempted to bring it up to the register with me. The price actually feels right at $68. I thought it was both flattering and comfortable and something way different then anything already hanging in my closet. I'm just not sure what I'd wear it with, though? Any ideas?

Oddly, I did not photograph the pieces I loved the most from this marathon try-on session. I have a few things that have rocketed to the top of my Wishlist now that I've tried them on. And I have a couple of things that made it home with me. I'll post more on those, tomorrow ;)

7 comments:

Pamela said...

get the skirt. It looks great on you. do you think you'd wear a show with a heel or wedge bc they you probably don't need to alter it, but if you don't, then see about taking it in to have a bit taken off, but I don't think it looks bad in the photo. It's super cute! I want to try it on now!

and the rosette tank is very cute. you could throw a cardigan on over ot for cooler day or just wear it with a simple skirt or denim. It reminds me of the Rare Bloom tee (which i just bought at the sale!). I love it!

And good for you for venturing out! Take it little by litte and in no time you'll be zipping along the expressway like a pro and know the city like the back of your hand!

Gemma said...

I'm glad you were able to venture out, now I can see how things look on someone my size...With the exception of your awesome arms and my small chest which didn't even blossom (?) after 2 pregnancies. haha.

Anyway, love the skirt on you! The length seems fine from the picture. Seems like a fun skirt for the summer... length and all. You can always have it shortened up a bit if you decide.

The rose top is cute, too. Looks good for dressing up or going casual.

There were toll booths everywhere I drove in Florida. And interstates! But that was when I was younger! Now I don't venture out past 20 miles myself. I've grown to hate interstates. But I'd probably do it...all for the sake of shopping.

Looking forward to your reviews.

Gemma said...

Oh, and love your header. Funny. GPS-es are awesome!

Michelle@DomesticationoftheSingleGirl said...

You know...I didn't like the skirt at first glance, but I think it's the climbing/crawling/escaping cowlneck that's throwing me off.

Thank you for making me feel normal about not driving on highways. I'll go more than 15 miles from home, but you better believe I do this ONLY using back roads the entire way.

:D

SRP said...

oh wow! I pay 10 bucks in tolls everyday and drive 60 miles, gotta love NYC!

I'm glad you ventured out, a girl deserves a trip to anthro once in a while and the GPS is a wonderful thing!

I know what you mean about the climbing cowlneck. I love mine but the armpit issue is kind of bizarre- it's like the arm holes are really long or wide or something.. I do have to do some adjusting once it's on.

Emily said...

That climbing cowlneck top did the SAME thing on me! You're not the only one I promise :) I laughed out loud at your comment though, I definitely had the same thought when I tried it on. Oh well! And I agree that the skirt looked great on you!

Cat said...

The skirt looks great on you! I'm still on the fence about getting it. If I do, I'll probably shorten it since I *rarely* wear heels. The other challenge is styling it...I'm kinda stumped on it. I'm thinking simpler styling since the skirt is such a bold piece....hmmm...still thinking about it...