Friday, April 23, 2010

the mail came...it was the best of times, it was the worst of times

My husband took the afternoon off today so he could attend Harrison's "Writer's Celebration" and mulch the flower beds afterwards. Package #1 arrived in our mailbox via USPS. Packages #2 & #3 arrived by UPS an hour later. And an hour after that Fed-Ex pulled up with Package #4. By this point, I was beginning to wish my husband back at the office...

He'll be glad to know that every single item in my Ann Taylor Loft order is promptly being returned to the store. I am kind of at a loss for words over this batch of new arrivals. The Loft has been my "go-to" store for a few years now, but recently I'm not sure what's going on with them? I feel like we might need to break up. And in this case, it's not me, it's you!

TURNS OUT, NOT EVERYTHING IS BETTER WITH BOWS...
Bow Neck Top

I cannot even tell you how disappointed I am in this bow top, I'm pretty sure it's bigger then most of my maternity wardrobe. Also, these jeans are a size 00P, and the length is ridiculous.

Next up is the V-Neck Cardigan, which the website describes as "The ultimate cardigan: lightweight, versatile, and with a touch of sheen."

Not so much. You can pretty much only pair this completely sheer cardigan with dark colored tops. And I wouldn't call that versatile. To be fair, the Willow Green is very pretty, and the buttons are super nice. But I want a cardigan that's going to pair with more then navy blue blouses, so back it goes.

Also, the Linen Trousers? Meh. I actually like ON's better. Like, way better.

Happily, along came my Anthro Box...

The Red Delicious Blouse (size 0) cheered me right up. Oh heck is it CUTE.
I also decided to take a chance on the Oolite Necklace. It was either going to be Joan Rivers, or adorable.

ADORABLE! The other two boxes were less thrilling, more cardigans from Lands End Canvas (ordered with F&F discount and free shipping. That's my defense) and Playmobil for the boys (sorry, Graham - you'll be banished from the playroom with the jillions of small pieces)

21 comments:

Sara-You, Me and Anthropologie said...

I've noticed the same thing recently with the LOFT. I went in today to try and use my 30% off and couldn't find anything! I was so disappointed! Love the Red Delicious Blouse on you!

Lizzy said...

How do you get on the Friends and Family and free shipping with Lands' End?

Gemma said...

OH, I hate UPS! My husband has a varied schedule...When he gets off at 5pm, UPS will come late. Every time he's working a later shift, UPS comes early. Today, he saw UPS from the window and I hear him yell...Did you get something from Anthropologie, AGAIN? I'm like, "uh, I ordered some stuff a week ago..."

I hate USPS they never update tracking and our mailman shoves the Anthro boxes into our mailbox and I can't wedge it out and have to wait for husband, who then, again, wonders why I'm ordering so much! I called our post office and told them not to do that anymore and walk the package to our front door.

But UPS and USPS suck at helping hide packages from husband.

That was too long. But I love that Red Delicious Blouse on you! But I need to chill for a week or so. That's long enough, right?

Again, sorry for long comment.

Peggy said...

haha - wishing your hubby back to the office! funny!
The Red Delicious Blouse is perfect on you! You must wear it often! Love! Now I need!

Debye said...

Don't laugh,but I got the bow top in blue today from the Loft. I love it with a fitted jacket and skinny jeans but not on it's own.

Jan Russell said...

Gemma - wow, do those scenes sound familiar - LOL. And USPS is awful at updating their tracking, my Anthro order was supposedly in Georgia this morning - roll eyes.

My Lucky Day - the promo was last week, and I just stumbled on the code on another blog, the last day F&F was running. If I see/hear something again, I'll try to remember to post here. I also try a google search before I order anything online and that turns up codes, a lot.

Debye - I am FOR SURE the bow top looks a million times better on you. You have height to your advantage with this one! I know I'll be jealous of how cute you are in it, when you wear it!

Sara/Peggy - thanks girls! I LOVE the Red Delicious and it's actually a piece I can wear tons, since it's casual - yay!

Kim said...

Anthro never disappoints - that's why I love it more than any other store :-)
I love love love the Red Delicious Blouse on you, and I'm so happy it fits you!
Also love that necklace - i'll have to check that one out.

anna said...

hilarious! i often sweat the days my husband is home if i know something is coming in the mail. he starts to think...is it like this EVERY day? ha!

i broke up with ann taylor loft a couple of years ago. i would say we get coffee a few times a year now. i can relate!

anthro is always the crowd pleaser isn't it??

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

The red delicious blouse and oolite necklace rocks on you! I had been eyeballing that too and it looks great IRL.

BTW, who made those nude sandals you're wearing with the red delicious blouse?

Jan Russell said...

Hi Lisa! The sandals are by Naturalizer, and I got them for a steal at Marshalls. This pair is nearly identical, except it has a wrapped heel, while mine is the cork - I'm guessing it's just the newer version of the same shoe. Hope this helps :)
http://www.aerosoles.com/product1.asp?P=GUAVAPLUSH

SRP said...

oh wow, you are so sized out of the loft, huh? I used to wear a 6P there in dresses and now I'm wearing 2 regular... hmmm. wonky sizing is not good. I prefer consistency over being lied to about my size :)

I love that Red Delicious Blouse, I may just have to try it on afterall!

And I often have packages shipped to my fiance because he can sign for them at his office, except that I HATE the funny look I get when I have a really "busy" week and he is bringing home a package a day. I can totally relate to your package delivery story!

Peggy said...

OK Missy - I bought the Red Delicious Shirt today thanks to you!! I love it!

andrea said...

the red delicious is completely delicious. I love it.

I am sad the the bow tank was so big because it really is cute. I love the blue top you've got on under the green cardigan. CUTE!

I would die if Brian was home on the wrong day. Or I guess I should say HE would die.

Unknown said...

The Anthro blouse is very cute. The Loft stuff doesn't look too exciting. I don't really visit them for basics. Some are ok, but I try to look for special pieces from them instead. Thanks for sharing the pics :-)

And yes, your arms are great! You're so fit.

Jennk said...

Jan - I LOVE this blog. Love it! If it's possible, you're looking younger. You look great! Wish we could shop together. ;)

Unknown said...

Hi Jan! I noticed the Loft bow top was the one from the "Regular" size section. Did you try the bow top from the Petite section? The shoulders are a little different (very cute!) and the top is way shorter (of course) :). I tried it on a few days ago and it was very flattering. I'm a little taller than you, but I bet it would fit you well. Just a thought! It's funny how everyone has different experiences with the Loft (or any store for that matter). I am loving the Loft this year. I've gotten many items that fit great, are great quality and at awesome sale prices. Good luck with whatever you decide! (The Red Delicious Blouse looks perfect on you!)

Jan Russell said...

Spiffy - it's so true, the Loft runs bigger for me every year too -they like to vanity size, for sure!

Gigi - my local Loft has a fairly large petite section, so in the past it's been convenient for me to buy my pants/jeans/more basic items from them. This last year or so I've been prefering Banana for those pieces, but my BR doesn't carry petites :(

Andrea - the problem is that every day would be the wrong day - LOL.

Thanks Jenn - I would love a local shopping buddy!

Amy - when I was in store yesterday to make my returns, I did try that other bow blouse in an XSP and it was much better! But while the other one was too long, this version was too boxy on me. and the armholes were bigger then I like..I passed, but it was very cute! I did grab some great tees while I was in there, though. I agree that their sales cannot be beat! I really love their jewelry at the moment, too!

Lifeasahoosier said...

This post made me laugh about all the packages coming in the mail. My husband's schedule changes often so sometimes I am sweating that day when he see's all the stuff..lol! My daughter asked me the other day if there was such a thing as Anthropologie money (which she heard from her dad) because I'm returning stuff and buying stuff and weighing out the costs in my head...I tend to round wrong ;)

Lifeasahoosier said...

btw....LOVE that apple shirt on you. I have to try that one on :)

KristinH said...

Love the Oolite necklace!!!!!!! I don't think that they are getting it in my store so I may have to order it!

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

Thanks for finding an alternative for me! I've been eyeballing tan wedges for a while now - trying NOT to buy as I have waaaaaaaay to many shoes, but not tan wedges. Sigh.